Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
...and I guess there's no excuse to not pull the trigger on this thing.

We're going to kill the weeds and whatnot on the pool site, remove the sod, get it leveled (which sounds like just SO MUCH FUN), install pavers where the legs sit, and then the fun of chemistry begins! To me, the chemistry of a pool is almost the best part!

Should I post photos? After all, it's just another build.

We're planning on leveling the site, topping with compacted sand, then put down a liner and a groundcloth, then set it up on 4x8x2 concrete pavers. The finished pool will be 14 ' x 48" round ABG. It will have an Intex skimmer and an Intex 1000 gph filter pump. I know, the budget broke before I could get a serious pump.

I'm going to start with pucks to get the CYA up to acceptable levels, then switch to the TFPC system. This will be interesting, I've always used pucks before.

Onward and upward!

Last edited:
Pics - of course! Take your time with that base and making it perfectly level. We can't emphasise that enough. Nothing worse than gettng it full and the water line is crooked. As we all know, tabs/pucks do contain stabilizer (CYA). And while they can add-up over time, you might want to just add some granular stabilizer via the sock method at initial fill for a CYA goal of 30. If you wait for those first few pucks, I suspect chlorine will disappear quite fast with next to no CYA protection. Good luck on the project.

We laid out the circle marking where the pool will go today! I had hoped to start tilling the ground but it's still too wet from the storms we had Friday. I hope to get to it Thursday and get the sod broken up so we can remove it.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is one reason I want a pool, for the no-impact exercise I can do. Unfortunately I'm having a flare in my ankles which won't go away and it's hindering my pool building, so I'm going to get joint injections this week so I can actually work on the pool. Wish me luck!

Pics later.

We laid out the circle marking where the pool will go today! I had hoped to start tilling the ground but it's still too wet from the storms we had Friday. I hope to get to it Thursday and get the sod broken up so we can remove it.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is one reason I want a pool, for the no-impact exercise I can do. Unfortunately I'm having a flare in my ankles which won't go away and it's hindering my pool building, so I'm going to get joint injections this week so I can actually work on the pool. Wish me luck!

Pics later.
Can't wait to see your pics. I didn't know about this site until after I finished my pool :(. The pool will do wonders for you and your rheumatoid arthritis. I wish you the best for sure. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks for your concern! I have my husband and son helping me, and we'll "git 'er done" one way or another! I tried hiring it out, but couldn't connect with the people to set an appt. By the way, DO NOT USE Porch.com, the people that contract through Walmart. They're rude and unreliable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a pic of the marked yard. My son marked it got and a little out of whack on one bit, but it is a circle.

My husband Mike went out and tilled it to break up the sod so we can shovel it off. More pics later!so

I used to have a garden back here, so I'm thinking it's already fairly level. I don't remember any serious sloping in this part of the yard, anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: splashpad
I went out today and did an inventory of my pool in the box, and everything's fine. Took out the uprights and sprayed the lower third and insides with clear Rustoleum. Honestly, I don't th ink it needed it --! the frame parts are heavy gauge steel and the paint is very thick. Oh well, a little extra caution never hurt anyone.

This weekend our son Patrick and I are going to HD to pick up some landscaping fabric and concrete pavers for the uprights to sit on. We're eventually going to lay 16x16 pavers across the yard and fill in aroand the pool with medium river rock. It'll look sharp!

Now all we have to do is level and set up the pool!

Last edited:
Reactions: splashpad
How do you intend to make it exactly level? It cannot be off by more than an inch and 1/2 inch is much better. Do you have a transit or a laser level?

DO NOT SKIP this very important step.

We have a board and a 3 foot level. Mike (my husband) went around it, but he tends to be quick and dirty; I'm going over it again tomorrow just for my own peace of mind.

I know a laser level or transit is more exact, but the o ld board and level trick will have to do..

It is certainly your pool to build how you want. A 3 foot level and board is likely not adequate to get the precision you need. If your pool walls are out of level by an inch or more, there is a reasonable chance they will collapse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.