Well water pre fill test

nfusion770

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Jul 1, 2011
My pool will not go in for another few weeks but I just got my tf100 and I wanted to see where things were at. Here are my numbers:

This is well water and was probably at about 55 degrees.

ph 7.2
ta 370 to 450 (at 370 I saw the first glimmer of red- it increased with every drop and was pretty red by drop 45)
CH 320

I didn't think the other tests applied just yet.

I have been reading and it seems I can manage my TA with an aerator and my CH might not be unmanageable. I will also have a SWG (that's helpful for CH right?).

Do these seem like manageable numbers? Should I take a sample to a pool store to test for metals etc or does the TF100 have me covered? Please tell me I don't have to pay to have water trucked in.

Thanks in advance

Just trying to get a bit of a handle on this before the real test begins.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
They are not horrible.
You can lower the TA with some work (acid and aeration).
Some members have CH a LOT higher than that.
SWG has nothing to do with CH ... you will need salt not calcium.
Might be worth having the pool store test the water ... do a full test including metals ... don't tell them it is just well water and lets all maybe have a laugh at the results :)

nfusion770

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Jul 1, 2011
I just re-ran the tests on water that was run through my whole house filter and softener (just for giggles).

ph 7.2
ta 390
ch 240

jblizzle said:
They are not horrible.
You can lower the TA with some work (acid and aeration).
Some members have CH a LOT higher than that.
SWG has nothing to do with CH ... you will need salt not calcium.
Might be worth having the pool store test the water ... do a full test including metals ... don't tell them it is just well water and lets all maybe have a laugh at the results :)
Thanks. So the pool store can test for everything I would need to worry about? I thought I read some posts about people sending their water to the state testing facility or something. I also thought I read somewhere that a SWG helps with the effects of CH- like bonding or something.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Almost makes you wonder about the point of the water softener.

I think there are state required testing for wells in many areas, but you are just trying to find out how much iron/copper/etc might be in the water. Who knows how accurate the pool store will really be though.

nfusion770

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Jul 1, 2011
Just got back from the pool store. Here is what the kid who was on the phone the entire 20 minutes I was there wrote on the sticky note (verbatim).

ph 7.8
alk 120 (TA?)
hard 300 (CH?)
copper .30
iron 2.80

I reran my numbers when I got home just for fun.

ph 7.3
ta 370
ch 260 (I adjusted this test since I now know there is copper in the water)

What does it all mean?

nfusion770

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Jul 1, 2011
I might have to get another test. There is another pool store pretty close.

Linen mentioned in my aquipment thread that I may have to use sequestrant- it looks like he was right.

nfusion770

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Jul 1, 2011
Pool store number 2 just did copper and iron.

Copper .34
Iron 2.5

She said the copper number was negligible and I can handle the iron number by adding sequestrant as I fill. She said wait for a few days before adding chlorine.

I should have had her test the alkalinity too I guess, but at least I can do that at home.