Well Pump to fill pool

marley972

In The Industry
Jan 30, 2019
Texas
Are there any standards to the size of the well pump you want to use when filling a pool with well water? I've attached a picture of the info of the pump.well pump picture.jpg

57plymouth

Aug 27, 2020
Blythewood, SC
When I filled my pool I was told to fill for 3 hours, then stop for 2. This was to allow the pump to rest and the well to recover. It took me 4 days to fill a 24ft round above ground pool.

Reactions: marley972

rumcglot

Silver Supporter
Feb 13, 2019
Texas
Hard to imagine there would be any standard or limitations on the pump size for filling the pool. If water comes out the garden hose, you should be good to go. I think well pumps are typically rated for continuous duty as long as water is flowing. However, depending on the type of well material and the depth, I can see how you might need to shut it off to recharge.

Reactions: marley972

marley972

In The Industry
Jan 30, 2019
Texas
Hard to imagine there would be any standard or limitations on the pump size for filling the pool. If water comes out the garden hose, you should be good to go. I think well pumps are typically rated for continuous duty as long as water is flowing. However, depending on the type of well material and the depth, I can see how you might need to shut it off to recharge.
I was told pretty much the same thing by another person. Thanks for the reply!

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Just a bit off the subject, but filling from a well often introduces iron into your pool which can plague you for a long time. Did you test for iron?

Secondly, that pump is capable of pulling A LOT of water from your well. Do you know how many GPM your well can produce? You will not be happy with the resultant mud if you pull faster than the well can supply.

jonahex2099

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2020
Seattle
I filled ours from our well (artisan) and I followed the four hour fill, two hours off method. Took about three and a half days to fill and that was fine. Our pump is older and I didn't want to chance having issues as I just had to have about 5k worth of work done on the system that did *not* include replacing the pump.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Filling from a well has little to do with pump capacity. It is FAR more important to test the iron content of your well water and to determine what GPM your well will yield.

In NC, my 275' well produced 2 gpm and a garden hose left on for more than 4 hours would run it dry. Here in FL, my 60' deep well produces 80 gpm.....you literally cannot exceed it's capacity.

Reactions: jonahex2099
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.