Well I'm back and finally getting construction going. (update Sept 3 Finally done in time for fall)

jrogers4649

Sep 30, 2019
Westminster, Massachusetts
A bit of drama to get to this point. Feel free to read if you are bored. After all we are mostly stuck home.

To start I have an old thread where we thought we were getting a retaining wall and a pool. After many errors we had to cancel everything. Leveling our yard without a wall didn't seem like it would work and the wall price went up to 70K. We thought the pool builder was adding a lot to the cost to line his pockets but later found out it was because he was including things the excavator contractor was not (mostly leveling, loaming etc.).

Original Thread... Starting a new pool project.

Anyhow we started having our yard leveled with fill just so I could get into my shed without building a ramp or deck. This brought our neighbors over (who are none too happy that our house was built here after their brother sold the land). They started complaining about property line. So to put them at ease we had the surveyor come out and re-mark the property lines since stakes had been removed at some point. We did this at our expense and gave them a copy of the survey report. Well they are still none too happy since they lost land they thought they owned. We gained a lot of space behind my shed and suddenly realized maybe we didn't need a wall. We can move the shed and have enough space for a pool.

So we called the pool guy and he came over and we are now reviewing his contract. The contractor doing the yard fill knows we are putting a pool and they have compacted and used the proper material. We did waste a bit of money on loam (not realizing we were putting in a pool this year).

The shed is being moved today if the crane shows up. Check out the thread I posted above for initial pictures of the yard on page 1.

Here's some pics of what's going on... (I'll post pool details in a later post).

After we added fill and loam to get into my shed...

55AnFIN.jpg

03kTWq4.jpg

Once we realized we had more land behind the shed and cleared out the saplings, added a bit of fill. I know it seems weird the shed wasn't moved and fill put in, but this is simply because the first crane operator bailed out on us and didn't show up. We will be moving the shed and doing nothing else until it's time for pool to be put in. Part of the pool will be where the shed is now. We will utilize any fill material that has to be removed down on the lower yard level.

1abhawx.jpg

Where the shed is moving, on the gravel on the lower level.

8HPjWQK.jpg

Hopefully this time I can finish the thread with an actual pool. We still have a lot of details to work out, fencing, patio, location of filter etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirker
Well the saga continues. Pool guy came out and determined it would still cost quite a bit to level the yard where we originally wanted the pool. So what we've decided is that the pool will go closer to the house. He will dig out around the deck stairs and make that area of the yard level with the basement slider door. We will eventually add a small wall, but it will just slope down for now. The pool will be angled sort of where the tractor tread marks are in this pic. Hard to really tell but not as close to the deck. So after all that, we probably could have left the shed, but it's better to have the yard space. Later maybe an outdoor kitchen/smoker area. Also considering a gazebo off the slope at the back of the yard looking down the mountain.

Pool will be fiberglass, Imagine Pools Inspiration. SWG, propane heater.

elMQwHZ.jpg

Cool!

Have you consulted with an engineer?
Given the slope, excavations for both wall and pool, IMO, you definitely should. Yours is not a typical installation.

What is the the retaining wall material, height and length?

Cool!

Have you consulted with an engineer?
Given the slope, excavations for both wall and pool, IMO, you definitely should. Yours is not a typical installation.

What is the the retaining wall material, height and length?

I should have clarified a bit. We are no longer needing a wall. The wall cost made getting a pool absolutely out of the question. That was after losing $1600 on the engineered plan for a wall. The pool being closer to the house, and having moved the shed to give more space means we don't need a wall at all. I know it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool will be fine as long as the entirety of the pool is in virgin soil (deeper than what you recently filled in), but I think you will run into a lot of problems trying to build a patio on that fill dirt without a retaining structure of some sort.

Last edited:
Well lots of updates. I have a bunch of pictures but it is very hard to get the perspective of what's happening here. The fill the pool company is bringing in to layout the location of the pool is basically sand so pics are hard to show detail.

We are constantly running into struggles due to the slope of the yard. The pool will be close to the house. We actually need to step up out of our basement slider (about 2 steps) to where the decking will be. Hard to explain why but the short story is it saved us from moving our well line and made site work a bunch easier.

The pool being closer to the house means it will be in somewhat virgin soil. Of course the house is only a year old and there was a lot of fill here to start with. They are using a lot of gravel to set the pool. What has been done now is just prep work to get the level and placement worked out.

Oh and the pool changed from Imagine Pools Inspiration to Latham Cape Cod. The Inspiration was a deal because they had it in stock from a job not completed. Well as they cleaned it they found a hole. So we had to pick a new pool that was in stock at the manufacturer (since Covid has slowed production).

Anyhow, here's some pics.

Overall from back yard.

xRQM1nH.jpg

My horrible rendering of where the pool, decking, and pad for pump/filter will be...

WAjf9mO.jpg

From basement slider...

DvKb8YH.jpg

jVMqL6j.jpg

From the deck off my kitchen

cQfwTis.jpg

WTgakBx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Apsuhead
Very interesting and crazy project so far. I think your project will involve some very important considerations for ensuring storm water moves downhill on one or both side of your pool, versus into it. Also with all that fresh soil, considerations for having it piped around, versus draining over it and taking it along with the water.

Very interesting and crazy project so far. I think your project will involve some very important considerations for ensuring storm water moves downhill on one or both side of your pool, versus into it. Also with all that fresh soil, considerations for having it piped around, versus draining over it and taking it along with the water.

Very good points and it has been taken into consideration. There will be underground drainage. In addition on both sides of the house we have a "swale" which is just the ground being curved in a way to direct water to the sides of the property. I was a bit worried about one side but it looks like we will be good. I just have to watch it after the pool is in and make sure water is being directed properly.

Aside from that the pool is scheduled to be delivered June 9. Gas line has been put in to the pad location for the heater. Expecting electric any day now. The pool is a bit later than we hoped but considering it's not the display model and has to be shipped we can cope with that. Concrete guy was out to look. I think we will be spending quite a bit on concrete work. Fencing the entire yard is gonna be about $11K.

Reactions: bmoreswim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.