Weird one.... Water from pool light junction box.....

randal106

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2017
South Alabama
This is a weird one... I have water coming out of the transformer box from / to the pool lights when running the pump on full speed...

We have 3 lights, 2 pentair led and one off-brand bubbler, all three go to the same "J" box, then one conduit from there to the transformer box.. when running the pump on full speed, I get a trickle of water out of the transformer box... not good..... any reason I would get water coming out the the box when the pump is on full speed? only thing I can think of would be the bubbler lost a seal or something, and that is pushing the water through the conduit... thoughts? Update: Just confirmed its the bubbler, when I shut off the flow to the Bubbler, water stops coming out the transformer...

Last edited:

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Have you opened the J-Box to see which conduit the water is coming out of?
I think you're probably right about the bubbler being the culprit.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I'd shut everything down and replace or repair the bubbler and then I'd use an air compressor to blow the conduits dry before turning everything back on.

randal106

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2017
South Alabama
Ok, found out the root cause... maybe....

PoolBuilder did not run a conduit to the junction box for the Bubbler, he ran the Bubbler conduit straight to the pool pad and into the 12VAC Transformer (See Photo). My pool pad is about 6 inches below water level, which would put the transformer only about a foot above the water level. Im pretty sure that is the root cause. Reason I have not noticed this before is the pool level is VERY HIGH right now, just below the overflow, so that extra 3 or 4 inches is causing it to back up into the conduit / transformer.

Question, should I re-do the bubbler conduit and run it into a junction box, then back down into the transformer?

Attachments

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Code requires all pool light wiring to run through a junction box to create an air break between the conduit running into the water and the conduit running to an electrical panel.