Weekend pool... "Over dosing Chlorine" on Sundays?

usedtobeayooper

Aug 20, 2019
Hamilton, MI
Backstory.... I work alot. Often late. Add to that kids school, activities, etc., and our pool is basically a weekend thing. We almost never use it mid-week.

In that scenario, is there any harm in over elevating FC levels Sunday night and allowing it to trickle down through the week vs. adding a little every night?

I tried it this week. Pool math said I needed to add 25 oz Sunday night after a weekend of heater use and extended play time. But I knew we wouldnt use it much, Mom was jet setting on business, and I was going to be late, much less kid duties. Instead I said screw it and added a gallon. Measured Monday and I was at 16 ppm, each night I lost about 2ppm FC.

Checked tonight as I fired the heater to ready for the weekend and I'm sitting pretty at 8 ppm (Cya 50). No adds all week.

Anything wrong with that?

utb,

I was under the impression that if the FC is way over the recommend that the excess would burn off faster than normal... :scratch:

But, if it works for you, I can't see the harm..

Thanks,

Jim R.

utb,

I was under the impression that if the FC is way over the recommend that the excess would burn off faster than normal... :scratch:

But, if it works for you, I can't see the harm..

Thanks,

Jim R.

To add perspective, it's more a Fall season issue than a Summer thing, and we get little sun for shorter periods of the day, more shade, and a solar cover on all week.... if that makes a difference.

Testing is your friend. You should test FC & CC mid week to see what your pool needs.

Testing is your friend. You should test FC & CC mid week to see what your pool needs.

I still test nightly, I've become an addict. Going through reagent like its candy.

Mostly curious if there's any harm in the initially high FC at the start of the week. Or if in doing so, I'm missing something in the process.

In the end, the act of adding every night isn't an issue since I test anyway right now, but once I can build a trend with the pool, curious if it really makes a difference so I can be more efficient with my time and relax the testing/adds.... particularly as my schedule builds in the fall and pool use lessons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.