Apr 3, 2021
Northern Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to fix up all the leaks I've encountered after opening up my pool for season. First year with a pool for me, but this pool was installed in 2006 and I have a feeling some of the connections are from the original start up. I noticed a small leak coming from the underside of the joint connecting the pump to the filter. I tried removing the pvc tubing but it's really stuck on the connection tightly. Unsure if I am just weak and my fiance will be able to take it off later, or if I will have to cut it off? There is water in tubing, but I had to partially drain due to a high CYA level, so it's filling back up now. He couldn't get it off because it was a very tight spot. And pool is back to being full with a lower CYA :)

However, the main issue is not the tubing/connection (I just wanted to take it off so I could get in closer to the other piece.) The leak is coming from between the male connector piece and the female fitting on the filter. It looks like it might have been cemented into it?? Is that normal practice? Will trying to unscrew the connector destroy the fitting on my filter?

Pieces of the cement (or whatever it is) are flaking off but I'm worried if I try to remove it then I won't be able to reconnect a new piece. Any advice? Should I just try to add more cement to the area and hope it seals it for now? Thank you!

Attachments

• Leaking Joint.jpg
    Leaking Joint.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Update:
I found this in the manual, so maybe not pvc cement but rather permatex #2

"Screw other straight adapter, using Teflon pipe sealant tape or Permatex No. 2, securely into opening in control valve marked PUMP. (Do not overtighten.)"

Last edited:
Bump, still looking for an answer!

I'm hoping to change out the fittings that insert into both the intake and discharge side of the filter. But I need to know what possible issues I will be running into when I do it/I need to have all the pieces with me when I do, thanks to extended curb side pick up and shipping times!

Do we think the current fittings plugged directly into the filter are smooth faced and cemented in? I don't know why, but that's what it looks like to me, but that seems like a really stupid set up. Because then I would have to replace that entire multiport piece to do a plumbing fix... it's leaking at the fitting on the side that is at the inlet. I would assume the normal set up is a threaded fitting there, but I can't try to remove it without cutting the flex tube, and I can't cut the flex tube without replacement parts and a plan :(

Hey everyone!

I've posted a multitude of questions lately and I am so thankful for everyone who has taken the time to answer my endless list of questions! I've had to deal with some issues already regarding leaks and broken equipment, as well as learning everything pool related at once (I can't do anything at half measures, which I guess is a good thing.)

Yesteday's test results:
FC- 0 ppm
CC- 0 ppm
pH- 7.15 (using pH probe at my lab)
TA- 63 (using valid test at my lab)
CYA- 60
CH- 250

Last night I vacuumed and added 400 g of pH up (it was all that was left from previous owners and wanted to use it up, didn't realize it would affect my TA unfortunately). I also did not add any LC last night because I misread the pool school article about waiting 24 hr between pH products and cal-hypo (I was tired and thought it said sodium-hypo, silly me.) Therefore I didn't add my chlorine last night....

This morning I used pool math to reach a 9 ppm FC level and 1.5 hr later I tested it, and low and behold! It was dead on! New test results this am:
FC- 9 ppm
CC- 0 ppm
pH- 7.2 (using test kit)
TA- 90 (using test kit)

I ordered some 20 mule (waiting for my curb side pickup to be ready), and I am hoping that will take care of my pH and not increase my TA too much more. I also have some areas on the pool floor that need to be vacuumed more. I don't think its algae, it's just dirt stuck in all of the little ridges in the liner (see the attached pics.) I skimmed some off the bottom (also a pic) and it's definitely just organic matter that has settled to the bottom. I also bought a better vacuum head, but have to wait for my order to be ready before I can pick it up.

I do have a couple more questions though...
1) When I did my CH test, there was a precipitate that came out of solution. I did add the 5 drops of R-0012 before any other reagents, and did the cut with DI water. It definitely stopped the purple from happening, however the precipitate did occur again (slightly less). Should I bring a sample to the pool store to get metals tested? Are their tests accurate for metals?

2) When I get everything today, I will do a good clean (as much as I can) and add the borax. Is that all I can do for today? Then add LC tonight for the OCLT test?

3) I had perfect pump/skimmer action going, until I vacuumed yesterday. Now I have lots of air bubbles in my pump and a vortex going in the skimmer. I did refill the water up to half the skimmer plate (after I backwashed yesterday), and cleaned out both the pump and skimmer baskets. Suggestions what to do now?

4) When taking off my pump lid, the water rushed out over the top. I know that happened because it's lower than the pool, but I did close the ball valve that should have prevented that (the second time I did it, forgetting about it the first time.) Is it coming from the filter side of the equation? Should I try and add a ball valve on that end too?

I do have a question posted under the pumps/filter/plumbing forum, looking for answers regarding that too!

As always, thank you in advance! This community really is the best! I am looking forward to jumping into the pool, hopefully soon!!

Haley

Attachments

• pool floor.jpg
    pool floor.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 9
  • zoomed.jpg
    zoomed.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Dirt.jpg
    Dirt.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 10
  • CH test.jpg
    CH test.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 10
Update: around 4 I added 2 lbs of borax to raise pH to 7.6.... just tested now

FC 7.5 ppm
PH 7.8
TA 110

Sad. I know they are still in range but still!

I assume my 8000 gal estimate is off? I added the amount of LC pool math said to do and it was perfect! Should I continue my calculations with 8000 gal or should I lower it to add dry acid?

The pH just needs to be the in 7’s. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to maintain an exact number. Also, the pool math estimate for pH adjustments are just estimates.

you could try tracking the CSI in pool math which will help you decide what adjustments are really needed. Personally, I think you’re done, go swimming!

The pH just needs to be the in 7’s. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to maintain an exact number. Also, the pool math estimate for pH adjustments are just estimates.

you could try tracking the CSI in pool math which will help you decide what adjustments are really needed. Personally, I think you’re done, go swimming!
Good call! It's hard when you're a perfectionist!! I had my fiance vacuum the pool and he said it would be easier if he just got in to do it... and I said ok fine 🤣 then when he was done, I jumped in too! A nice 72 without the heater or solar cover set up!

I am still interested in the answers to my other questions though :) even if I have given myself permission to get in! Haha

Good call! It's hard when you're a perfectionist!! I had my fiance vacuum the pool and he said it would be easier if he just got in to do it... and I said ok fine 🤣 then when he was done, I jumped in too! A nice 72 without the heater or solar cover set up!

I am still interested in the answers to my other questions though :) even if I have given myself permission to get in! Haha
If the chlorine estimate worked well, I think you keep your 8k gallon estimate. If you check the note on the pH addition, it’ll say that it’s just an estimate and not accurate for big changes in pH.

Should I bring a sample to the pool store to get metals tested? Are their tests accurate for metals?
You can if you like. Most likely have some iron in the water. As long as low amount, will be no issue.
When I get everything today, I will do a good clean (as much as I can) and add the borax. Is that all I can do for today? Then add LC tonight for the OCLT test?
As stated above, no borax was needed. You should never really need that product under normal circumstances if you follow TFPC. You can add LC now.
Suggestions what to do now?
Check your filter. Does it need to be cleaned?
Is it coming from the filter side of the equation? Should I try and add a ball valve on that end too?
It is. You need either a valve or check valve on the return side of the filter.
I do have a question posted under the pumps/filter/plumbing forum, looking for answers regarding that too!
I will move that to this thread to keep all your issues in one place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can if you like. Most likely have some iron in the water. As long as low amount, will be no issue.

As stated above, no borax was needed. You should never really need that product under normal circumstances if you follow TFPC. You can add LC now.

Check your filter. Does it need to be cleaned?

It is. You need either a valve or check valve on the return side of the filter.

I will move that to this thread to keep all your issues in one place.
I will bring the sample in just to make sure for the metals I suppose, just in case!

The old owners of the house used pucks, and our fill/rain water is less than 7 so upon opening it was quite low (originally 6.5 after I filled for the first time.) I was worried about my heater, so I obviously went a little over board but I will keep an eye on the pH now and use muriatic acid if it gets too high.

I backwashed last night after I vacuumed and it went back down to 15 psi. And both baskets were cleaned out.

I will add the valve onto my list of plumbing pieces I need to buy.

Not likely. You should be able to remove the flex hose and unscrew the fitting.
Fingers crossed! I plan on buying some plumbing parts but will only try to change things at the end of the season, for fear of messing things up

Go to settings in the app (gear icon) and go to Poolmath logs and share them.

You can have multiple apps, just login with the same id/password.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.