Weak suction / returns

May 20, 2016
Quebec
Hello TFP team and readers

I am a longtime lurker, and always greatly appreciated the info that I gathered here (although I still consider myself a moderate newbie).

I have a technical question for you. Ever since opening my pool, I have fairly weak suction and returns. Yet, my manometer at filter reads regularly at 18 to 21/22 PSI, no problem. Backwashing does evacuate some dirtish water (whitish for 30-60 seconds), but PSI remains fairly high and yet the returns and suction remain unchanged (weak).

I figure that if my returns are weak even on recirculate, this has nothing to do with my filter being clogged? I suspect the pump maybe weakening, I will need to replace it in the short term... But, the PSI is running fairly high? Doesn't that prove that the pump still has some good torque left? Or am I off-base?

My setup is: inground pool, roughly 10,000 gallons (12 x 24), sand filter (glass media) installed 2019, older Jandy pump (estimated at least 10 years old, max 14 yo). I have a SWG but I am not using it currently. Water is blue, but cloudy. I have been doing shocks and maintained it blue for well over a week, but the cloudiness barely improves and I suspect that the weak suction doesn't allow for a quick and efficient filtration.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.