Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just noticed this morning that the pump is working at a level closer to 1,000 RPM v the 3,000 RPM to which it's set. Knew this group would provide insight as to possible issues causing this weak flow.

• 3 HP Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed
  • Pentair Clean & Clear 420 cartridge filter
    • Cleaned about 6 months ago

It must have lowered itself based on its scheduling. You should play with the RPMs and find each purposes ideal RPM. Say, the heater comes on at 1650 RPMs and it skims great at 1200 RPMs. Then you set the RPMs to achieve the function you need at various times.

Bigger pumps move the same water at lower RPMs, saving considerable energy. The game is to run them as low as you need, not as high as they can go.

So,

I assume you mean that when the pump is running at 3000 RPM, it appears the flow is like what you are used to seeing when running at 1000 RPM..

A dirty filter is the number one cause of flow problems...

A CCP-420 should not be that dirty in only 6 months unless you have algae, even if it is not visible yet.

What is your 'clean' filter pressure and what is it now?

I suggest that you clean the filter and see if that solves your issue. If it is does, then you need to start looking at what caused the filter to clog.

Edit.. With an FC of zero, you should just go and put a sign on your lawn.. "Algae party, coming soon!!!" :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
issues causing this weak flow.
Given you have logs from the previous 2 months with FC = 0, I would propose that you have algae, even if it isn't visible. That algae has filled your carts and is causing low flow and high filter pressure.

I would do this tonight ...Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

If you fail, then it is on to a filter cleaning and a...Link-->SLAM Process

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.