We used a floc..and it floated did not sink

sassyc

Jun 8, 2012
My Husband and I are attempting to open a pool that was not closed during last winter. The pool is above ground 15,000 gal vinyl that was full of leaves, tree limbs and of course algae. When we had gotten all the leaves out of the pool that we could see, we changed the sand and took a sample to the local pool store. The process was alk up, ph down and shock. I did all of this and took a sample back again. The algae is in full force and they suggested that we floc the pool leave it set over night with the filter off and all would sink to the bottom to be vacuumed to waste in 24 hours. 24 hours later we have a huge amount of whitish green algae on the top of the water...now what? Help please!

Welcome to TFP!

Run the pump so the skimmer with catch it. And keep an eye out on the filter pressure and backwash/clean the filter as required.

Could you please post a full set of water test results. We can give you much better advice with that information.

Floc is normally a complete waste of time and money if you haven't finished killing off all of the algae.

Thank you for the welcome. Here are the water results prior to flocc:

free available chlorine 0.13
total chlorine 0.3
combine chlorine 0.17
total alkalinity 50
ph 8.5
cya 9
calcium hardness 192
copper 0
iron 0

Thanks again! :lol:

Quite a few of your levels are out of balance.

CYA is way too low. You want CYA at 30 minimum for an outdoor pool.

TA is a bit too low. You want TA at 70 minimum, or higher if you have been using trichlor tablets for chlorine.

Your PH is way too high. You should never allow PH to get above 8.0, and ideally keep it at 7.8 or lower.

Your FC level is too low, which allows the algae to start growing again. When fighting algae with very low CYA you want to keep FC up around 10 until you are sure you have killed all of the algae.

I suggest you do some reading in Pool School, especially the articles on killing algae and on recommended levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.