Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
what in the heck do I have in my pool? Can you still call this H2O?
Now, I must confess, that I haven't checked my water since we had our SWG installed in May this year. The water looked sparkly an clear and I thought we are good to go....obviously looks are deceiving!I bought some AquaChem test strips and

TC..0
FC..0
CYA..0
PH..<6.8
TA..0
Hard 250
Salt 2.4

I do have a TF-100 kit, but I ran out of a lot of the reagents and it is 3 or 4 years old. Yeah I know, I am a slacker...sorry :oops: , so off to WallyWorld I went and bought 4lbs12oz borax, 12lbs baking soda and 3lbs stabilizer and dumped that in the pool, stabilizer in a sock in skimmer. I did order a new test kit, but it takes a bit to get here. What else can I do to get my pool back in check? My plan is to let the pump run over night and re-check my numbers tomorrow...and pray!!!
Astrid

Re: we have a situation....TC..0, FC..0,CYA..0, PH..<6.8, TA

I don't see you added any chlorine. You should add some bleach to help the SWG get going or you'll have some green water.

I think you know how we feel about those strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Don't believe test strips. They are les accurate than pool store testing. Until you get your test kit back online, take a sample to a pool store and have it tested. Don't buy anything whle you are here, just get he test results. You want:
FC
CC
TC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
salt ppm

BTW: I don't know how you can have a salt level of 2.4. I don't believe any of your numbers can be accurate (well maybe the CH 250). Post some real test results and we will help you get started on putting things right.

Had the water tested, of course they tried to sell me all kind of stuff, when I told them, that I use bleach to shock, they almost had a nervous break down and told me how bad it is for my pool, since I didn't wanted to buy from them, they charged me $25.00 for the test....anyhow her are the numbers:

FC...0
TC..0.4
pH..<6.2
TA..38
Adj. Total alk..26
Total Hardness..28
CYA..40
Salt..2700

I started to add baking soda, hope that's the right approach, in what order should I adjust the rest ?
Astrid

You need to get your self one of our recommended test kits. Pool store testing doesn't cut it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

First adjust pH with borax to the low 7's. Then, test/adjust TA up to 60ish.

Next, follow the SLAM process in Pool School.

After the SLAM process is completed (see red lines in my sig) you should increase CYA up to the recommended SWG levels.

How in the world did your pH and TA drop while using a SWG? That does not make sense. Have you been adding any chlorine powder or pucks?

A SWG did not make the pool maintenance free. All that slacking has caught up to you. Order a refill kit and take back control.

We had the SWG installed in late May/early June...the water always looked good, clear no algea, well my dumb self, being lazy, didn't checked my water for months..hey it was looking fine, now I get the payback!
Lesson learned!!!
Astrid

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

...no powder or pucks....! But the pool dude who installed the SWG just dumped 4bags of salt in the existing, chlorinated water. Does that have some to do with it? He didn't checked my chemicals before nor after installation.

just received the refills for my test kit and checked my water, here are the numbers:

FC 2
CC 0.5
TC 2.5
pH 7.2
TA 130
CH 20
CYA 80
Salt 2480

how do they look? Do they need adjustment? Thank ya'll so much for the help... :cheers:
Astrid

Thanks for your answer, but I can't turn my SWG off unless I turn the filter off. The pool dude connected the SWG to the timer of my filter, the SWG automatically runs when the filter runs. Is that a problem?
Astrid

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.