We are ready to start this process again.

awpoll

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
McDonough, Ga.
We originally started getting our ideas on paper at the end of 2017. We started the permitting process and then had to put everything on hold. We are now ready to get this project rolling again. I will oversee the build of our pool. I cannot see paying a PB to just make phone calls to line up the subs. I was my own GC in 2006 when we built our house. I have spoken to all the subs that I want to use. Some have given me numbers and still waiting on others. Here’s a drawing of what we want to build.

The pool will be gunite with a blue colored quartzscape stone. The spa is 8’ diameter. The water depth in the shallow end will be around 3’-6” with the deep end being 8’-6” or 9’. We are planning on using Jandy equipment ( VS pump, cartridge filter, natural gas heater, and auto control from iPad/iPhone). Trying to decide on what robotic cleaner to use.

Attachments

• new drawing.pdf
    755.6 KB · Views: 76
Very nice, i like the technical drawing vs the PoolStudio render, it speaks to my inner geek.

You probably don't need all 4 return lines going back to the pump. They can probably be 2x2" and then split off both into 1 1/2" for the next down the line. I only have two returns, one 2" line to the first return and then it splits there in a 1 1/2 to the opposite side. It has pretty good circulation.

As stated above, I would combine the returns on one main line but also loop that main line around the pool. l only see one skimmer, most people seem to recommend having at least two. I also used 2.5" on the pool and spa returns. It was good until I realized that the big box hardware stores do not stock schedule 40 2.5" fittings and if I need something it has to wait until the supply houses are open (I am doing all my own plumbing).

As stated above, I would combine the returns on one main line but also loop that main line around the pool. l only see one skimmer, most people seem to recommend having at least two. I also used 2.5" on the pool and spa returns. It was good until I realized that the big box hardware stores do not stock schedule 40 2.5" fittings and if I need something it has to wait until the supply houses are open (I am doing all my own plumbing).
I like the idea of a complete loop on the return lines. I would imagine that this would balance the pressure to all returns. There are two skimmers. It may not be very clear on there, but there is one towards the bottom left ( deep end ) and the other is on the top right ( shallow end ). Since you did your own plumbing, did you use fittings at all your bends or did you actually heat and bend the pipe?

If the "bump" at the bottom of the drawing is a sunshelf, I'd go bigger. Ours is almost 8x8, and it's one of the most popular features in our pool. If I read the drawing incorrectly, as Rosanne Rosanna Danna would say, .. never mind. :)

My only comment is that you might consider increasing the width at the constriction point of the pool. It looks like about 14' if I scaled it correctly based on the spa size. I'd rather see a 16' area there by pulling each curve out 1'. Otherwise I like your pool dimensions, length and depths. I always encourage 8 1/2' or 9' if you are doing a diving board. But even if not, I like deep ends deep.

My only comment is that you might consider increasing the width at the constriction point of the pool. It looks like about 14' if I scaled it correctly based on the spa size. I'd rather see a 16' area there by pulling each curve out 1'. Otherwise I like your pool dimensions, length and depths. I always encourage 8 1/2' or 9' if you are doing a diving board. But even if not, I like deep ends deep.
You are correct. On this drawing it is around 14'. Since this drawing was completed a few weeks ago I have widen the area to around 16' with marking paint on my grass.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Only 1 comment, buy a filter much larger than the builder suggest. I went from a sand (Back washable) to a Cartridge (not back washable). I have to clean that baby every 2 to 3 weeks. I wish I knew now what I did not know then. Larger or sand if you ask me!!!

Love your design though.

John

Reactions: awpoll
I’ve updated my signature with pool equipment. I welcome any suggestions. I’ve attached a diagram of my plumbing layout and an equipment pad layout with notes. A couple of things to note is that the pool returns will be plumbed in a loop around the pool. The thing I’m trying to figure out at the moment is the spa plumbing and equipment needed for what I’m trying to do with the spa. I found a good thread concerning the spa plumbing, but it didn’t quite address what I’m trying to figure out. I would like to do all the below with one Pentair IntelliFlo VS 011028 if possible. I would like to use as much automation as possible.

1) - I would like to return heated water to returns in the footwell of the spa.
2) - I want the flexibility to turn on the spa jets behind our backs without the water being heated.
3) - I want to be able to have the spa jets to have air or not to have air mixed with the water.
4) - Our spa will also have a spillway that we will run a couple of times a day for cleaning and effects.
5) - We will also have a couple of bubblers on a Baja shelf that I’ll need to be able to control.

Attachments

• 5F49C430-DE46-47C3-AF38-A29A23526D97.jpeg
    5F49C430-DE46-47C3-AF38-A29A23526D97.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 12
  • EE67E60A-0593-4272-B2E5-F3DAAB2FE30A.jpeg
    EE67E60A-0593-4272-B2E5-F3DAAB2FE30A.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.