Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!

The TF-100 with the Speed Stir and Taylor K-1766 salt test are what you want.

Post up your fill water numbers once you have it. The water chemistry may seem a little intimidating right now, but you will soon see that with a little understanding, it really isn't all that complex.

Jamie,

You need to talk to your plaster sub about water startup. If they are open to it, the Bicarbonate Start-Up process as defined by onBalance is the best approach. However, many plasterers have their own beliefs about what a proper chemical start method is and will only honor their warranty if you follow their procedure. So talk to your plaster sub BEFORE the job starts.

Also, under no circumstances do you put salt in the water BEFORE 30 days. The plaster needs time to cure and salt can interfere with that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I'd be surprised if he has any knowledge of the Bicarb Startup. Amazing how simple a concept it is but how much resistance it gets. With the pebble finishes, or any finish that gets an acid wash prior to filling, there really is no need for an acid start. If he won't allow a bicarb startup, then the traditional startup is would be the next choice.

Jaime, if you are already certain that your fill water is high in calcium, and probably alkalinity too, you'd be very near bicarb startup levels anyway. I would also suggest you advise the plaster contractor that you do not want any calcium chloride added to the plaster mix. I'd even go as far as to pay more to not have the calcium added.

The TF-100 with the Speed Stir and Taylor K-1766 salt test are what you want.

Post up your fill water numbers once you have it. The water chemistry may seem a little intimidating right now, but you will soon see that with a little understanding, it really isn't all that complex.

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for. Would it be helpful to upgrade to the XL option now, or would that be overkill?

Jamie,

You need to talk to your plaster sub about water startup. If they are open to it, the Bicarbonate Start-Up process as defined by onBalance is the best approach. However, many plasterers have their own beliefs about what a proper chemical start method is and will only honor their warranty if you follow their procedure. So talk to your plaster sub BEFORE the job starts.

Also, under no circumstances do you put salt in the water BEFORE 30 days. The plaster needs time to cure and salt can interfere with that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thanks, Matt. I will see what my guy says about the bicarbonate startup. I did know about not adding the salt, but it's good to be reminded.

Jamie, we have you covered with the testing! There are videos and I can walk you through the tests when you are ready to do them.

kim

Thanks, Kim! I'm counting on your help with the testing... I'm sure I'll need it! :)

I'd be surprised if he has any knowledge of the Bicarb Startup. Amazing how simple a concept it is but how much resistance it gets. With the pebble finishes, or any finish that gets an acid wash prior to filling, there really is no need for an acid start. If he won't allow a bicarb startup, then the traditional startup is would be the next choice.

Jaime, if you are already certain that your fill water is high in calcium, and probably alkalinity too, you'd be very near bicarb startup levels anyway. I would also suggest you advise the plaster contractor that you do not want any calcium chloride added to the plaster mix. I'd even go as far as to pay more to not have the calcium added.

You're probably right about him not knowing. But I will try to understand the bicarbonate process as much as I can so I can talk to him about it and try to have no calcium added. I'll order the tests first, and confirm our water quality. We do get a lot of scale on our faucets though.

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for. Would it be helpful to upgrade to the XL option now, or would that be overkill?

Its not necessary but certainly wouldn't hurt. As long as you store the kit out of sunlight and in a somewhat temperature controlled environment, the reagents should last for a good while. If you don't get the XL, you'll at least get a feel for the things you test the most often and can replace those as the needs arise.

XL for sure. You're going to be testing A LOT in the beginning....come on Texas Jamie, you know the Texas motto - Go BIG or Go home!!!

TFTestkits.net just sent an email that offers free shipping an all orders over 100 bucks. The TF100 with XL option will probably last you this summer and next. And no worries it is good for two years. Then after that you can just order refills when they go on sale each spring. Be sure to store it inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TFTestkits.net just sent an email that offers free shipping an all orders over 100 bucks. The TF100 with XL option will probably last you this summer and next. And no worries it is good for two years. Then after that you can just order refills when they go on sale each spring. Be sure to store it inside.

I saw the free shipping when I just ordered, but I didn't know it was a new thing. Great timing! I would have ordered anyway, but free shipping is always nice. :)

I'm with you... Girl is my guess too!

We did a sort-of "Gender Reveal" party where we knew the gender but our three boys did not and had a little family & friends party. We filled a big box with balloons and wrapped it up in pink & blue paper as well as lots of pink & blue party favors. Everyone that came had to put a guess in and also come up with a name. We then ended the party with the boys ripping open the box to reveal the balloons. It was lots of fun to see everyone cheer and laugh, especially when we read some of the funny names that people picked.

God bless Jamie!! With every pregnancy, when people asked me what I wanted, my response was always the same - a healthy baby and a healthy mommy.

Matt

We did a sort-of "Gender Reveal" party where we knew the gender but our three boys did not and had a little family & friends party. We filled a big box with balloons and wrapped it up in pink & blue paper as well as lots of pink & blue party favors. Everyone that came had to put a guess in and also come up with a name. We then ended the party with the boys ripping open the box to reveal the balloons. It was lots of fun to see everyone cheer and laugh, especially when we read some of the funny names that people picked.

God bless Jamie!! With every pregnancy, when people asked me what I wanted, my response was always the same - a healthy baby and a healthy mommy.

Matt

That sounds like a lot of fun, Matt! Some of my kids have gotten increasingly vocal about wanting to find out early, but my husband and I have always stood our ground and waited for the surprise at the end. It's like the "carrot on the stick" for me to get through labor! But we do set up a list of all the possible variables that can be guessed ahead of time, (boy or girl, due date, hair and eye color, length and weight etc.) and let everyone in the family make their guesses. Then we see who "wins" by how many they got right, probably with the sex and due date holding the most weight. It's a fun game, and helps placate those who have to wait longer than they'd prefer to find out for real.

Have you done a reveal party for all of your wife's pregnancies, or just this one now that you're having a girl? I can imagine it was especially exciting for the pink balloons to burst out of the box. You all still got your surprise, it just happened several months earlier than our surprise will be revealed! :) That's a fun way to do it.

May God bless you and your family too! I will be joining you in praying for a healthy baby and mama for you.

I love the fact you didn't "find out" boy or girl until delivery! My wife and I did that with our first two, however for our most recent one we found out early. This was mostly due to a handful of health scares my wife made it where we almost had to find out early regardless if we wanted to or not. We were able to do a gender revile party too, however we set it up where we were unaware of the outcome too. It wasn't as exciting as not finding out, but it was close!

We took a card to the ultrasound tech and told her what we were planning. She then wrote on the card the sex of the child and sealed it up. We then took it to a local bakery who made us a cake with pink or blue icing in the middle. When Sherry cut into the cake it reviled the gender. While my wife and I enjoyed it our youngest one SCREAMED for excitement and burst into a "happy dance."

Congrats on your newest, and can't wait to see pictures with her ;).......I mean them......in the water.

Have you done a reveal party for all of your wife's pregnancies, or just this one now that you're having a girl? I can imagine it was especially exciting for the pink balloons to burst out of the box. You all still got your surprise, it just happened several months earlier than our surprise will be revealed! :) That's a fun way to do it.

This was the only baby that we did a reveal party for, partially because it's more of a "thing" nowadays and, with our other pregnancies, we were moving around a lot that we never had time for it. This is a funny story but I'll try to keep it short - it was always by coincidence that we made major moves every time my wife was pregnant. So, my oldest got this notion in his head that whenever mom was pregnant then we'd be moving to a new state. So when we told the boys in the summer that mommy was pregnant, my oldest groaned in protest that he didn't want to have to leave his friends and move somewhere new. My wife and I had a good laugh about it and calmly informed him that we promised not to move again ;)

One way they do gender reveals for couples that want to be surprised is to have the sono tech put the gender info in an envelop and then you give the envelop to the bakery or party planner and they set the surprise up. That way an entire family can be surprised at once.

Of course, waiting for the delivery room is the tried & true method for millennia! So far, so good on the mommy/baby health front.

Best wishes,

Matt

These gender reveal parties weren't even on my radar until relatively recently, but I never knew the details with the cake filling until both of you just described it. That does sound like a lot of fun, especially when it's a surprise for the parents too. From a practical standpoint, it's nice to be able to plan ahead of time with gifts and such, especially if they will be handmade. I know as someone who enjoys making gifts for new babies, it makes my life a whole lot easier to know if it's a boy or girl early on, but that appreciation isn't enough for me to extend the same courtesy to others wanting to make me gifts! Haha! I still cherish the surprise coming at the very end. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.