Memphis, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey friends, can I please get some info on waterline tile repair? Recently I had about 5-6 waterline tiles fall in the pool and I plan to fix them this week. I am a very competent DIYer but this is new territory for me. My plan is to use main drain only to drain pool a few inches under tile and run pool only through main drains for a few days while repairing, then clean tiles/area with multitool and shop vac and prepare for re-installation. I could use some help from there...what products do you recommend for mortor/thinset then grout and is there anything special about laying them that I need to know? How do I keep the tiles from moving after you stick them? The following day I will grout them. I also need to re-grout around the whole pool, waterline tile to coping but that's another deal, I suspect that issue had a lot to do with the tiles falling off in the first place. Thanks for all the info. Pic is attached and pool is gunite.

Attachments

• Pool tile.jpg
    Pool tile.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
What do you do for your pool on the winter?

Do you get freezing temperatures in the winter?

What do you do for your pool on the winter?

Do you get freezing temperatures in the winter?
We bought the house in 2018, I haven't closed the pool yet. We just had a decent ice storm so that may have some to do with it also but naturally not much ice issues in Memphis. It's important with a precast coping to have it grouted to help prevent water from getting behind the tiles right?

Any ice will be damaging to your tile. You can’t prevent hairline cracks from appearing in the grout. Water gets into the cracks and behind the tiles. When the water freezes it expands and slowly pushes the tile away from the thinset. It is cumulative and develops over time and freeze cycles.

Either accept constant repairs or drain your pool below the tile line for the winter.

High quality thinset may help but your tile is already on the walls.

Reactions: JaySav
Do you have an expansion joint between your deck and the brick cooing?

Yes I do have an expansion joint between the coping brick and deck. Thanks for the info, this seems like something that isn't out of the ordinary. I don't mind doing repairs as needed, it is a 15 yr old pool so I expect it. I'm thankful for this site and everything I've learned and having the ability to complete these projects myself.

Yes I do have an expansion joint between the coping brick and deck. Thanks for the info, this seems like something that isn't out of the ordinary. I don't mind doing repairs as needed, it is a 15 yr old pool so I expect it. I'm thankful for this site and everything I've learned and having the ability to complete these projects myself.
Jay,
Do you have after pictures? What are the exact products that you used?

Jay,
Do you have after pictures? What are the exact products that you used?
I bought a Milwaukee multi tool with the grout grinder attachment which was a must if you want it done right IMO. Have a mask and shop vac available also. Products wise I used EZ Patch 1 (thin set) and EZ Patch 4 (white grout) to finish. Came out perfect and looks great.

Attachments

• A852BA79-39AA-4BED-AC1F-66A5D4BE8999.jpeg
    A852BA79-39AA-4BED-AC1F-66A5D4BE8999.jpeg
    872.2 KB · Views: 37
  • B129E7AA-1B92-4572-9795-80E76545BD23.jpeg
    B129E7AA-1B92-4572-9795-80E76545BD23.jpeg
    674.7 KB · Views: 38
  • FFEEBD0B-48A3-494E-A136-EA678502A8F2.jpeg
    FFEEBD0B-48A3-494E-A136-EA678502A8F2.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 39

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice, So you used the multi tool to scrape/vibrate the old thin set off the shell and you held the shop vac up to it to collect the dust?

I'm going to try that.

Yup. It actually cuts not really vibrates but you’ll see. I drained the water down a few inches under the waterline, hung over the edge grinding the old thin set off with one hand while holding the shop vac with the other praying I didn’t drop the multitool in the pool. Then cleaned the tiles and put them down. It came out perfectly smooth and flat. Looks professional. I actually now can tell there’s been some previous tile falling off repairs in other areas that aren’t flat. Wasn’t properly prepped prior to laying it back down and it bugs me now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.