Waterline Tile Installation

May 14, 2017
Manassas, VA
We are going to be installing waterline glass tile here next week on a pool renovation. We are thinking of using a tile contractor who we have used on the interior of our home, and they have done many outdoor water features, but not a waterline pool tile installation. The pool contractors around here want to charge $50sqft installed, not including the tile which we have already purchased.

Are these the main points we need to consider/convey?
  • It has to be perfectly level, you can use soft forms by nailing them into the walls.
  • Do you need to float an initial bed and let it cure or can you mud and set in one shot?
  • Enough of a bed that the plaster floats into it as that will be the last step in refinishing the pool. Essentially, the mortar and tile need to come off the wall about 1/2 inch so there is no hump from the plaster.
  • Use unsanded grout.
Any input is greatly appreciated as we need to get the tile installed asap as they are plastering 4/10/2019.

Thank you!

We only did glass in our spa, but they floated everything to make it level, applied a waterproof barrier and then used a transom to strike a chalk line and then attach the form boards to the level of the chalk line, all prior to installing the tile. It’s labor intensive for sure.

We also used a 50/50 mix and sanded and I sanded grout. Keep in mind that grout will lighten after it is applied, if you plan on using a darker grout, go darker than you think or add an enhanced to give it the “always wet” look which I wish we did.

Which tile are you using?

We are using an italian glass tile. It's frost rated, etc. We used soapstone as the coping, which i've included a picture of that as well. The soapstone has been installed since that picture.

Attachments

• pool tile.jpg
    pool tile.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 40
  • pool tile2.jpg
    pool tile2.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: vegas27
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.