Waterline Tile Glass Good or Bad ?

I am just in the picking out materials phase of my pool project . Dig date is in July . I am going for a very modern look and LOVE the look of glass tile for the waterline either from NPT or Master Tile . Is glass going to be problematic? Would be grateful for feedback and to hear from anyone who used the glass tile at the waterline . For my plaster I will be using stonescape with added glass beads /abalone shell in either Midnight Blue or Tropical Blue .

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My personal opinion is porcelain tile is lower maintenance then glass tile. And 1x1 glass tile has so many grout lines that end up being a maintenance problem.

If you want a low maintenance pool get porcelain tile and minimize the amount of grout lines.

Last edited:

AUSpool

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 23, 2015
Brisbane, Australia.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Very good point to minimize grout lines. We have 2” glass water line tiles and so far there ok but we’ve only had half a season. Now that the issue has been raised I can say that we purposely went for larger tiles for the kitchen splash backs to minimize grout lines but didn’t think to transfer that idea out to the pool. :brickwall:

Reactions: parkinsmith
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread