Waterline Tile - Did I Make a Bad Choice?

racdash

Mar 12, 2021
Maryland
I am new to TFP. And hoping someone can help. We inherited a pool this summer and it has proven to be a bit of a debacle. We are having to fix the plumbing and re-plaster as it had a leak. The pool shape was NOT shape I would have picked (roman shaped). We are replacing the hardscaping/coping (we had to do this) and chose all the same to try to minimize the shape. We chose Diamond Brite French Gray plaster. I have never chosen pool tile and wanted to choose a tile that would help up minimize the shape so I chose a dark blue grey to hopefully blend with the water. BUT, now i am thinking it will stick out way too much and I should have matched the hardscape with a lighter grey or white? So, here is the question - am I way overthinking it? When choosing tile you want to blend should you match the coping or the water color? Thank you for you help!

Attachments

• blue gray tile.jpg
    blue gray tile.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 103
  • blue gray tile2 .jpg
    blue gray tile2 .jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 103

Desert Dog

Silver Supporter
Apr 4, 2020
Alpine, Ca
Maybe I can help you get more eyes on your thread/question. Colors are such a personal choice, its a hard question to answer. With a Roman shaped pool, I'm sure you want something not to crazy and eye popping. Perhaps posting a pic of your coping and anything else that's around the pool will help. Personally, I like the plaster/tile color combo you have picked.

sl7vk

Jan 6, 2021
Salt Lake City, Ut
You are way overthinking this. That combo looks lovely. It's a bit more modern, and I'm guessing that is what you are trying to achieve, or were trying to change with the Roman shape. Go with it!

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
I think it will be fine with grey coping and deck. Tile changes big time with grout color choice, a lighter white or grey makes it pop, a similar grout makes it sleeker amd more modern

nicolispicoli

Gold Supporter
Nov 18, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
When choosing tile you want to blend should you match the coping or the water color?
I have no answer to your question on what is best to minimize the shape, but I do love those tiles and think it will look great! I am bookmarking to show my husband!

TexasRain

May 19, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When choosing tile you want to blend should you match the coping or the water color?
I think the coping would be much easier to match. The water color can look different with sun/shade/shallow/deep.

racdash

Mar 12, 2021
Maryland
Thank you all so much for putting my mind at ease...I have attached the hardscape we have chosen and the actual pool....

1615946298115.png

This is the other tile I can choose - but i am not a fan of the swhishes...

1615946494299.png

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
That tile is gorgeous 😍. I like the white also but when I see white tile I like it with a lighter blue water. For the pebble you picked I think the darker is better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.