Waterline Tile and Spillway Question

Drip

Jun 15, 2021
So cal
Pool Size
Currently in the process of getting my pool renovated and they are working on the waterline tile/spillway from the spa. I noticed after they are almost done with the spa tiling that the spillway they added isn't exactly in the middle. I measured it and on side is over an inch longer. Not sure if that's normal but was surprised when they had to cut one of the 6x6 tiles with a L shaped cut. I could just be overly picky but thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210615_140700.jpg
    20210615_140700.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 72
So the spillway was not there originally? You could have them add some gunite to one side or maybe better yet if they could chip away at the other side to balance it out. In reality they should have measured it out better knowing the size of tile you were installing. I would suggest bring this matter up with the supervisor and try to come to a solution.

However, if this is a replaster then the size and position of the spillway was already there before - during original construction. Could it be the tile you removed was smaller and you did not notice the spillway be off-centered? But not it is more noticeable because of the larger tile.

So the spillway was not there originally? You could have them add some gunite to one side or maybe better yet if they could chip away at the other side to balance it out. In reality they should have measured it out better knowing the size of tile you were installing. I would suggest bring this matter up with the supervisor and try to come to a solution.

However, if this is a replaster then the size and position of the spillway was already there before - during original construction. Could it be the tile you removed was smaller and you did not notice the spillway be off-centered? But not it is more noticeable because of the larger tile.

The put in the spillway with this remodel. They added a few inches of concrete over the original spa wall and left a portion opened as a spillway.

All this pool stuff is new to me but I would imagine being centered for things like this is standard.

What's the best approach for tiles that are 6x6 for the rest of the spa area? They tiled it on one side with a full 6x6 and by the time it got to the to the other edge, they cut one tile in half to make it fit. Should it be that they would cut tile 2 tiles .75 so it's equal on both sides?

Last edited:
What's the best approach for tiles that are 6x6 for the rest of the spa area? They tiled it on one side with a full 6x6 and by the time it got to the to the other edge, they cut one tile in half to make it fit. Should it be that they would cut tile 2 tiles .75 so it's equal on both sides?
I think you are right on track and comes down to the expertise and attention to detail of the tile mason. It is no different then tiling your shower. They have to have the end in sight so they know how to start. I would have them do exactly what you said to make both sides look even. The same would be true regarding your coping. You want all the corners to be done first so they are identical and then make adjustments equally on the sides to have a symmetrical finish. It is all about attention to detail and laying out the tiles (or coping) first to see how it will come together.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Thanks for confirming! So would they need to even out the spillway as well? If its not an even 4 tiles worth?

And they made the tiles overhang so it would make a waterfall effect. Is that normal?

Thanks for confirming! So would they need to even out the spillway as well? If its not an even 4 tiles worth?

And they made the tiles overhang so it would make a waterfall effect. Is that normal?
I did not notice that in the earlier picture because shot from above. They should have created a lip with the gunite and placed the tiles on top of it. You do not want anything to hit that small ledge and chip the tile off. Maybe they plan to backfill with motar under that tile lip. That would give that lip some support.

Did looked around some more today a noticed some possible issues with the tile + new skimmer. I see some decent sized gaps from the tile to the skimmer. Is it up to snuff to just grout over these gaps?

I also noticed a chipped tile in the entrance to skimmer. Should this be redone or will grout cover it?

Attachments

• 20210617_170154.jpg
    20210617_170154.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210617_170028.jpg
    20210617_170028.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 32
Did looked around some more today a noticed some possible issues with the tile + new skimmer. I see some decent sized gaps from the tile to the skimmer. Is it up to snuff to just grout over these gaps?

I also noticed a chipped tile in the entrance to skimmer. Should this be redone or will grout cover it?
This is interesting. Do you have a picture of the skimmer front with the old tiles?
When first glanced, the side tile on the left seemed at a weird angle. Then the next picture showed it from the back side and it is real obvious. But they had to remove the old tile so how did it look before that? Did you take a picture of the skimmer front after they removed the old tile? It is hard to understand why the 2 sides are not symmetrical unless the original gunite was that way to begin.

Based on that left side being at a different angle then the other side - they may not have removed those old tiles. Seems strange that they would not have removed them but it is also strange the way the new tiles on the left side are not flush to the skimmer face. You probably need to ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If they seal this up with these sized gaps will I run into a problem in the future? And also, should I be worried that they left the old concrete bag in there when they were forming top portion of the skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.