Water testing goals based on season & temp: pH, CH, TA

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

My CSI is pretty good right now w a - 0.09.
Current readings:

pH 7.9
CH 325
TA 80
CYA = 50 [from last test, too cloudy]
Temp = 62
FC = 5

I played around w the pool math and noticed that a high pH w low temps is much better, as well as higher TA and CH. As the pool heats up, these figures can go down to keep the proper CSI.

Does TFP has any rules of thumb to adjust the critical readings of pH, CH & TA based on season and temperature?

Thanks a lot, tstex

PH is the only adjustment you can do to offset water temperature for CSI.

CH you can only remove with draining. And it will naturally climb over time with fill water adding CH. So you can’t really adjust CH up and down.

TA is too uncontrollable. It bounces around on you.

That is why CSI has a broad range. Keep CSI within the range and don’t obsess over a specific number.

Thx ajw

For me, my CH changes along w CYA when we receive 3-5 inches of rain, esp if the pump is running during rains...but yes, pH is definitely the easiest to modify, and since I have a spillover spa and scuppers (and rain too) all increase PH, thus the need for adding MA and hence the need to add baking soda

Program your system so you do not run the spillover and scuppers all the time. Chasing your tail with acid and baking soda will get old really fast.

I manually run the scuppers 1-2 times per week for 5 mins to replenish the lines..the spillover runs twice a day at 1 hr at 2550 & 1 hr at 1750 rpms, the rest of the time it runs at 1050 rpms and is barely trickling..the new Jandy ck valve has also really slowed down the water speed

OK -- with that run time I would hope your pH and TA will be more controlled. You may find you need to run pH at or near 7.8.

Thanks Marty - As it warms up, the dynamics will change a bit...I am also going to have the redo the travertine w a sealer around the tile line and coping...now that my plaster is cured, I am not needing the lower pH

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.