Water Test on New Inground--Feedback Welcome

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys, I finally tested my water on my new inground pool. It looks pretty cloudy as we have gotten tons of rain.
TA - 90
Hardness- 150
PH is 8.2 or more (deep pink)
FC - 4.0 (light-ish yellow)
CYA is less than 30....could be 0

What I did so far
Added 60 oz of Muriatic Acid (20% strength) to start to lower PH
Added 24 oz of of stabilizer (to start)
I have a Hayward CL200 In-Line Chlorinator and have it set on MAX.

Hopefully this clears up the cloudiness.
I purchased a Kreepy Krauly Kruiser that I am on the fence about keeping. It seems to clean a lot of the pool but not ALL.
Seems to take FOREVER too. 4 plus hours.
Any feedback is always welcome. Also, where do I donate to support the site ?

Listen Gdog....Pretend I'm your mother- I want you to switch to liquid chlorine to clear up the cloud. Just turning on the SWG to superblast won't cut it- they work too slowly to increase FC before algae can reproduce. You need to SLAM that water clear.

This means you take it up to SLAM level and *maintain* it at that high level until the water is crystal clear, your contaminates are 0.5ppm or less, and you can pass the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test). Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Have you read the direcions for a SLAM?? --> SLAM Process

I don't see specific FC and CC test results listed.... do you have a proper test kit yet?? Test Kits Compared

I want to know you're swimming in clean, safe, healthy water.

Signed,
Mother Maddie :flower:

Listen Gdog....Pretend I'm your mother- I want you to switch to liquid chlorine to clear up the cloud. Just turning on the SWG to superblast won't cut it- they work too slowly to increase FC before algae can reproduce. You need to SLAM that water clear.

This means you take it up to SLAM level and *maintain* it at that high level until the water is crystal clear, your contaminates are 0.5ppm or less, and you can pass the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test). Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Have you read the direcions for a SLAM?? --> SLAM Process

I don't see specific FC and CC test results listed.... do you have a proper test kit yet?? Test Kits Compared

I want to know you're swimming in clean, safe, healthy water.

Signed,
Mother Maddie :flower:
Thanks Mom :)
How quickly can I get a test kit locally ? I was thinking the Taylor kit because I can get it from Amazon.

It is very rare to find a proper test kit in stores. The Taylor K2006C (the C is important) is fine, or I recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. More of the reagents you will use.

If you want quick and get the K2006 (with no C), order refills for FAS-DPD and CYA at the same time.

Do you understand that the trichlor pucks in that CL200 inline chlorinator add CYA along with the FC? Are you aware they are very acidic? You may find that the pH ends up lower than you wanted and the CYA higher. When they're gone, don't add any more pucks to that thing unless you're leaving town for a few days.

every pool store I call does not have a test kit that does an overnight chlorine test. I want to start SLAM asap. My FC is at 4 but my water is cloudy.
The OCCLT is a manual test you do, not the name of a test kit per say. The pool store probably won’t know what you mean when you ask them about it. You do need a TFP preferred test kit because it can test chlorine levels above 5. The test kits online and in your local stores test chlorine levels between .05 to 5ppm. There is a test kit that tests up to 10, but it’s almost the same price as the TF100 and is also a color match guess kit. The TF100 is an accurate way to get a chlorine reading up to 50ppm as you count how many drops of test fluid you use to get clear sample water. I hope that helps.

Thanks guys, I understand, appreciate and follow what all of you are saying. I guess I just wanted to get the SLAM process rolling as soon as possible as I have a pool party scheduled for next weekend and anyplace I order from cant have me a kit before Wednesday, end of business. I have owned the TF100 kit before, but that was for a pool in my old house and I left it for the new owner.
I would **think** there is no harm in raising my chlorine up to shock level (perhaps a little bit more) and following SLAM without the test kit for now while I wait for it...the chlorine will wear off fairly quickly with the sun we get here.

The OCCLT is a manual test you do, not the name of a test kit per say. The pool store probably won’t know what you mean when you ask them about it. You do need a TFP preferred test kit because it can test chlorine levels above 5. The test kits online and in your local stores test chlorine levels between .05 to 5ppm. There is a test kit that tests up to 10, but it’s almost the same price as the TF100 and is also a color match guess kit. The TF100 is an accurate way to get a chlorine reading up to 50ppm as you count how many drops of test fluid you use to get clear sample water. I hope that helps.
Thank you Jodie, I understand, I have run thru this process before with a previous pool but it's been a few years and my pool skills are rusty :)

Reactions: JodieM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of course it is up to you, but sustained FC levels above SLAM level may degrade your vinyl liner.

I would suggest you add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to your pool each evening until you get your test kit.

Its your call of course, but a good gallon of Walmart 10% liquid chlorine per day wouldn't go amiss while you wait. I'd order from wherever you can get the kit the fastest. Make sure you brush daily and run that filter non-stop!

Mom :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.