Water temperature vs growth

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
With winter approaching in my area it has me wondering a few things that I haven't been able to find.

Is there a chart anywhere showing how fast things grow vs water temperature?
Does required chlorine PPM drop or does consumption drop with water temperature?

At what water temperature is chlorine no longer required to stop things from growing? I'm asking this simply out of curiosity for when the best time to close and open my pool is.

I realize I'm putting way too much thought into this but my mind wanders sometimes and questions like this come up.

Typically once your water temp drops below 60 degrees F algae growth will be virtually nonexistent. If you really want to get into the science of the sanitation levels needed for a given temp, @chem geek may have a detailed answer for you.

Does required chlorine PPM drop or does consumption drop with water temperature?

Is there a chart anywhere showing how fast things grow vs water temperature?

Figure 3 in https://aem.asm.org/content/aem/36/4/572.full.pdf

In winter the sun doesn't beat down on the pool as much either, so a non covered pool needs less clorine added to it

This is the effect of lower UV rays and not lower temperatures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the effect of lower UV rays and not lower temperatures.
If i recall correctly, the tilting of the earth away from the sun (in the northern hemisphere) causes the lower rays and temperatures. It also inhibits everything else from growing as well.

If i recall correctly, the tilting of the earth away from the sun (in the northern hemisphere) causes the lower rays and temperatures. It also inhibits everything else from growing as well.

And just how high or low that angle can be at any given time of year depends on your latitude. Anyone between 23.5N (the Tropic of Cancer) and 23.5S (the Tropic of Capricorn) can see maximum sun angle reach 90 degrees. At the summer solstice, the sun is at 90 degrees over the tropic of cancer. At the winter solstice it is over the Tropic of Capricorn. During the two equinoxes, the sun is at 90 degrees over the equator. At either equinox, if you subtract your latitude from 90, that’s the highest the sun can be at that time. At summer solstice, you take your latitude, subtract 23.5, and then subtract that difference from 90 to find the noon sun. If you’re in Minneapolis at 45 degrees north latitude, the highest you’ll ever see the sun is 68.5 degrees above the horizon. Here in Alabama at 33.5N, the highest we see the sun is around 80 degrees, hence the much hotter summers. For winter you do the opposite to find the noon sun angle. Add 23.5 to your latitude and subtract from 90. So here in Alabama we see a max sun angle of about 33 degrees midday on December 21. In Minneapolis, the sun doesn’t get above 21.5 degrees above the horizon at winter solstice, hence colder winters.

Here is a fun but powerful little tool to play around with: Calculation of sun’s position in the sky for each location on the earth at any time of day [en]

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.