Water Temp Question

JakeP5253

Aug 29, 2019
Mississippi
This may be in the wrong section. I am in South MS, so I dont really close my pool. I chose this year to turn off my SWCG when the temps drop and have been using liquid chlorine. What water temp should I turn it back on at? Should I have just let it run all winter?

From Jandy AquaPure SWG - Further Reading

From Page 40 of the Installation Manual:

Below 51°F (11°C), chlorine production is not permitted; operating the chlorinator in cold water might result in over-chlorinated pool water. If more chlorine is needed, activating the “Boost” mode will override this cold water feature allowing chlorine production for 24 hours of operation.

You can turn your Aquapure on when the water temp is in the 50's.

You can leave it on all winter. It will turn itself off around 50F and back on when the water warms up. It can bounce on and off with water temp around 50F.

What water temp should I turn it back on at? Should I have just let it run all winter?
Hey Jake, I'm over in Mobile myself. My SWCG shuts down at 50, and honestly my pool water has only been below that maybe a handful of days so far all winter (pool was only finished in early December but obviously wasn't any colder before then). I shut mine off around new year's when the pool water was below 50, but then one week later after a warm spell the water was back up to 64. I think next year I might just leave it be, I'll continue to test the FC level every few days and if we get an especially cold streak just check it a bit more often and be prepared to add liquid chlorine as needed.

For whatever it's worth, since we do have a few nights next week where it appears it will be in the 20s I'm leaving it off for now, but pending a warming trend after that I'll probably turn mine back on around the 20th, and for sure by March 1.

Below 51°F (11°C), chlorine production is not permitted; operating the chlorinator in cold water might result in over-chlorinated pool water.

Just a question out of curiosity: Is "over-chlorination" (which in the manufacturers' mindset probably starts at 5ppm) the only reason for the cold water shutdown?

My SWG is quite ancient, and maybe the Aussie models are different to start with, but it never seems to shut off. My water temperatures in winter go down to about 45°F, and the SWG just happily chugs along, run time and output adjusted to maybe 0.5ppm chlorine production per day or less. I quite like it like that, but I fear that once I have to get a newer model, I'll loose that freedom.

Thanks, Marty. And yes, the low salt light is constantly on. But that starts already below about 70°F, so I have to rely my own salinity test anyway.

Just a question out of curiosity: Is "over-chlorination" (which in the manufacturers' mindset probably starts at 5ppm) the only reason for the cold water shutdown?

My SWG is quite ancient, and maybe the Aussie models are different to start with, but it never seems to shut off. My water temperatures in winter go down to about 45°F, and the SWG just happily chugs along, run time and output adjusted to maybe 0.5ppm chlorine production per day or less. I quite like it like that, but I fear that once I have to get a newer model, I'll loose that freedom.

Depends on the model even int he USA. That is the wording from the Jandy Aquapure manual.

Pentair, Hayward, and Circupool shut down hard at their cold water temperature. Jandy Aquapure shuts down at cold water but can be overridden for 24 hours of generation at cold water temperatures.

From what I have seen the Aussie cells do power management and % generation differnently then cells in the US. So their electronics are different and may make a difference for cold water generation.

Reactions: mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.