Water still slightly yellow

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
Hi everyone,

If you remember, I had the issue with super high iron in my fill water. Water turned dark yellow when I put the chlorine in. I drained it, scrubbed every part of the tub, filled again from the well, through an iron curtain filter for my house and then through a pre filter screen made to reduce iron. The water still had enough iron in it to turn yellow a bit, not as bad, but still not great.

Suggestions on here pointed me to a few options. One option was to use the polyfill and bucket method. The second option was to drain again and fill directly from my whole house water softener preceded by the iron curtain. It's a large unit that can handle 800+ gallons from one tank and then has another reserve tank in case it runs out, so I didn't want to worry about running out of softened water.

I chose the second option just to start fresh. I filled from the softener through the pre filter screen made to reduce iron and did this slowly. I also added Metal Gon as my water still tested with 0.1ppm iron. Here were my numbers after filling:

CC - 0 (hadn't added anything yet)
CH - 275
TA - 150
PH - 8

I then reduced my TA down to 80 today. And the PH is hovering about 7.6 or 7.8.

I then added chlorine and the water turned slightly yellow. It's duller than it was in the past for sure, but it's not crystal clear. There was also a ring around the water line that was light brown. I rinsed my filter before adding chlorine as well. Did I not rinse the iron out of it well enough?

So should I just keep things going and hope that the filter catches whatever little iron is in there now? Or do I do the polyfill method with my current water?

I'm also super surprised I still have this issue with the iron level being at 0.1ppm. I had the water tested for iron at the hot tub store as they have a machine to do it. I know their numbers overall aren't great and I have my own TF-100 kit, but I don't have anything to test Iron.

You seem surprised that your tap water has .1 ppm iron. That seems pretty low to me. My water company calls that ‘negligible’. I’d be curious if anyone’s water, either tap or pool, has tested lower.

Sorry, the .1ppm is from my fill water, which is going from the well, to the iron curtain filter, to the water softener, to a pre screen iron filter. So was surprised I still had any. But should have known as my levels were high to start.

But any ideas as to why my water is still yellow after adding chlorine with iron levels at .1ppm?

IMG_1050.jpg

Seems there has to be some other contributor besides .1 ppm iron and chlorine. My pool and tap water test at .1 ppm iron and the pool water is not yellow. Are you using plain liquid bleach? What's in the Metal Gon you're adding?

I did just order a Taylor K-1716 to test for iron myself. I just have no idea how iron could be getting through all of my setup. And the store did a specific iron test and it was 0.1ppm. They tested other times before I changed and went through the water softener and it was 1.7ppm. So I think their test is valid. So puzzling and frustrating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nothing on the back besides a chart to show how much to use depending on size of tub. I looked on their site and it doesn't say either. You think that could be my issue? If so, will it just eventually go away and then I shouldn't use again? Or should I drain and refill and not use that?

So the interwebs list two totally different paths for the aqua finesse. One is an inorganic salt based conditioner, so like for the feel of soft water. The other use is to purge the pipes of biofilms like ahhsome, but without draining. Both from the same bottle. Its a Dutch company and they probably don't have to tell us anything at all. One thing is for sure, its a magic potion. At $147 a kit too. Ouch. No matter what, no more.

Give the tub a SLAM Process for a few days and see if it clears. If not drain one last time. A quick thought on that too. I had 3/4 plumbing for my hoses at the old house. If anyone used regular house water while that hose was going, it broke free all the silt in the pipes and the water got real muddy/rusty for a minute. If you refill, keep all the other water off, or stop the fill to take a shower, do dishes, etc.

Yep I hear you - no more Aqua Finesse.

How do I do the SLAM process with a hot tub? Keep adding the granular chlorine that I pictured above? And what is shock level for a tub? Sorry, I had a pool previously, but a little unsure with only having 400 gallons now.

As for regular house water while filling, that is an interesting thought. If I fill again I will be sure to not have anything else running. But I do have the pre filter screen that should catch anything, it's that heavy duty one for iron.

So we're down the Aqua Finesse road here, but do you think that is what is causing it to be yellow? It's also depositing scum on the sides on the water line.

I have 2 filters - should I just keep cleaning and switching those out daily?

How do I do the SLAM process with a hot tub? Keep adding the granular chlorine that I pictured above? And what is shock level for a tub? Sorry, I had a pool previously, but a little unsure with only having 400 gallons now.
Same process listed here SLAM Process, just on a much smaller scale. Use the FC/CYA Levels as your guide. If you dont have any CYA, add some to get to 20 and go from there. Use PoolMath for dosing, set the gallons to 400 and it will tell you how much to add based on your testing. Or download the app to have it with you at the tub.
As for regular house water while filling, that is an interesting thought. If I fill again I will be sure to not have anything else running. But I do have the pre filter screen that should catch anything, it's that heavy duty one for iron
It can't hurt to only fill the tub. We have everything to gain if it works. :)
So we're down the Aqua Finesse road here, but do you think that is what is causing it to be yellow? It's also depositing scum on the sides on the water line.
The scum seems to fit the plumbing purge that they are claiming. That makes sense now. Maybe the yellow is the dilluted scuz that came out.
I have 2 filters - should I just keep cleaning and switching those out daily?
Yes. Most can be tossed in the dishwasher for easy peasy.

Ok thank you! I will start to work on that. I didn't know you could wash the filters in the dishwasher.

For the yellow scum, just keep scrubbing off the water line sides right? Or will it also deposit under the water and I'll need to brush the sides and bottom?

Also - do you think I'll need to use a metal sequestrant moving forward? Or are we still thinking the yellow water might be from the Aqua Finesse?

For the yellow scum, just keep scrubbing off the water line sides right? Or will it also deposit under the water and I'll need to brush the sides and bottom?
It should mostly float but the more I think about this, if you purged your pipes, you don't want to soak in that water. Slam or no slam. I'd dump it but fill with some fresh water towards the end to get the last bit out from the pipes.
Also - do you think I'll need to use a metal sequestrant moving forward? Or are we still thinking the yellow water might be from the Aqua Finesse
I'm thinking it's all purge water. Keep the house water off just in case when filling and go from there.

Only pure and known chemical adds this time. Follow the hot tub sticky in the spa section. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.