Water slightly cloudy due to borax

Switched

Dec 25, 2019
Adelaide
Ok, first time I put in borax I got cloudy water, I can’t remember what I did back then as it pool ownership was still new
roll around to about 2 weeks ago and put in borax again (1kg) to reduce TA without impacting PH, and it’s been slightly cloudy ever since. The level of cloudiness hasn’t changed in that 2 weeks Chlorine has been fine ranging from 6-10ppm and not losing overnight so suspect it’s the borax.
The fact that this has happened twice now, I’m fairly sure it’s the borax that is the culprit, but now do I turn the pool back to crystal clear?
I also hear about FLOC. Should I floc it, or will SLAM help here?
I don’t plan to swim as we are end of season so unsure what to do here.

==========================================
HomePool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 60000 liters
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 6.0 (9 days ago)
CC: 0.5 (9 days ago)
pH: 7.4 (9 days ago)
TA: 100 (16 days ago)
CH: 400 (one month ago)
CYA: 40 (16 days ago)
SALT: 3600 (2 months ago)
BORATES: 4 (3 months ago)
TEMPERATURE: 24° (22 days ago)
CSI: -0.22 (9 days ago)

Borax raises pH alot and TA a little.

Are the chemistry test results above before or after you added the borax? 1 kg of borax is not much in your pools volume.

Sorry I got my TA and PH around the wrong way. I used it to raise my PH. The above results were after borax was added. It was 24 days ago I added it.
I noticed today that my FC is dropping each day, and it’s because a bottlebrush tree overhead of my pool is dropping its organic matter and pollen all in my pool so now I have to shock it anyway.
I think I’ll avoid using borax as I am 2 for 2 having issues with using it.

How low was your pH before you added Borax? I would have thought that over a few days pH should have got to 7.4 on it's own with natural aeration. As Marty said, 1kg of Borax is not very much in a 65kL pool, pH rise would only be like 0.2 - nothing worth really bothering about.

How much is your FC dropping per day? I tend to think FC dropping due to leaves and pollen is often overrated (unless there's lots and lots and you leave them in for a while). With the pool also being cloudy, algae seems to be the more logical explanation.

Have you made sure that your SWG is producing chlorine?

I would suggest to get as much of the tree debris out (net, pool cleaner, manual vacuum) and run an OCLT to get a baseline to decide on whether a SLAM is in order.

And last question: How did you get a borate reading of 4ppm? Are you doing the Mannitol titration test with a sample volume of 50ml, and one drop turned the colour back to blue? And you never deliberately added borates (e.g. as boric acid) as a pH-buffer, you just have some borates in the water as a consequence of adding Borax from time to time to increase pH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.