Water pouring out of pump basket when lid opened. Can't see how to stop!

Stphn227

Aug 23, 2021
Tennessee
Hey all, first time pool owner learning everything on the fly as the home I just moved into comes with an above ground pool. The thing is green and cloudly and I'm waiting for my TF-100 kit to come in and do a SLAM on this thing.

I'm starting off by clearing debris, and there's a bunch of leaves in the pump basket that I can see through the lid. When I shut the pump off and open the lid water is pouring out everywhere I guess due to gravity, but I don't see where to stop the flow of water. The black hose goes from the bottom of the skimmer box straight to the pump but I don't see a valve or anything that I can turn off. Im wondering if anyone knows what to do with this particular Hayward pump? It looks like there's maybe a bolt to twist below where the hose attaches to the pump but I'm not sure if that's what I'm supposed to turn to stop water going everywhere trying to clean the basket.

Any help is appreciated!!!20210823_193007.jpg20210823_193016.jpg

I used to use a nerf football 🏈 or a racquetball in the skimmer hole to stop/slow the flow of water before i plumbed in a ball valve below the skimmer.
Maybe u have something similar at your disposal- just be sure it’s larger diameter than the hose so it doesn’t get sucked in. 😊 Water will still come out but it’s manageable.

Feel inside the pipe opening in the skimmer. If it is threaded you can get a plug that screws in when you need to block the water. The return eyes should also unscrew and you should be able to screw in a plug there as well. Something like this Amazon.com : Swimline Threaded Pool Return Line Plug - IG Pools : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Or if you don't have threaded fittings you could use one of these Amazon.com: Rubber Winterizing Expansion Plug 1.5" Fitting, Plug Size 10 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

BTW, that "bolt" below the hose is a drain plug you can remove to get all the grit out of the filter basket.

If you don't want to add ball valve to the skimmer, maybe the opening of the skimmer has a "tupperware" lid that attaches inside the pool. When I had an AGP, I had a skimmer that had this lid and would stop any water coming in through the skimmer. Also, in winter, I didn't have to drain any water below the skimmer opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.