Water not heating enough through solar panels

imranmoin

Apr 27, 2021
San Jose / California
The water in my 20K gallon pool is not heating enough through the solar panels. I have 9 solar panels and the pump runs for about 6 hours every day. I get plenty of sun during the day. I have a 1 horsepower fixed speed pump, and I read somewhere that it might not be pumping enough water up the solar panels. Do you think upgrading to a 3 horsepower variable speed pump will result in heating the water more? Also, would you recommend Intellipro or Intelliflo pump?

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
If you run your pump 10 hours a day would it heat it? To get more heat you would run the pump longer or get more panels...

I think you are trying to go to a VS pump to save money on power but the solar panels require a certain flow to work.. The VS would save you money if you could push the same amount of water at 1800 rpm instead of 3800 rpm like now...

Reactions: imranmoin

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
9 panels seems like a lot of resistance for a 1hp pump to push through. Are they new? Did it used to work? How much higher are they then the pump?

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
What size are the panels?

What is the pump make/model?

What is the height of the panels relative to the pump?

What is the filter pressure without solar running and with solar running?

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.