water line tile replace

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD
I'm replacing about 20 feet of water line tile that has fallen off due to winter freeze of the water when I did not drop the water level far enough.

This is what I learned through my research.

1. Thin set laticrete 254 platinum or versabond.
the 254 says is pool and underwater rated. it has a 14 cure period. that feels very long. do I have to wait 14 before I put water up to the tile line?
Versabond doesn't actually say its pool rated but many people recommended it. it has a 7 day cure time.

Is there another product I should consider?

2. Grout. any epoxy grout is good?

3. I want to use a waterproofing layer to help stop efflorescence leaching at my tile line.
Any recommendation on a waterproofing layer?

any help of advice?

1. Thin set laticrete 254 platinum or versabond.
the 254 says is pool and underwater rated. it has a 14 cure period. that feels very long. do I have to wait 14 before I put water up to the tile line?
Versabond doesn't actually say its pool rated but many people recommended it. it has a 7 day cure time.

The more cure time the better. How much difference in longevity a few more days of cure time makes ins unknown.

Is there another product I should consider?

2. Grout. any epoxy grout is good?

I am sure there is some junky epoxy grout out there. Use a reputable brand.

3. I want to use a waterproofing layer to help stop efflorescence leaching at my tile line.
Any recommendation on a waterproofing layer?

Reactions: TBizzle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.