Maricopa, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi, I noticed the other day the water level was a couple of inches below where it usually is and today it was even more, maybe double that. I played around with the float on auto leveler, think maybe I adjusted it the wrong way. Right now I have the hose adding water to the pool and turned off the auto leveler. Will see how that goes and if it fixes the problem. I'll check the float on the auto leveler tomorrow. Any idea on what caused the water to go down? Is there something else I should be checking?

Sounds like you may have a leak somewhere. IMO finding/fixing the leak is priority over messing with the auto fill.

You can do a 'bucket test' to see if you have a leak, or if it is just evaporation.

Turn off the auto fill. Set a bucket on a step, and fill it with pool water to the exact same level as the pool. Check in a day or so to see if the level in the bucket still matches the level in the pool. If they do match, it's just evaporation. If the pool level is significantly lower than the bucket level, you most likely have a leak.

Thanks for the reply. I agree figuring out if I have a leak is priority but I'm hoping the problem isn't something that major. Rule out the easy fixes first. I'll give your bucket suggestion a try. I filled the pool with water last night but it's back down to where it was today so I'm pretty sure it's not evaporation. Seems to have stopped at the level it was before I filled it up. If I had a leak wouldn't it keep getting lower? I'll readjust the auto fill just in case I set it the wrong way and see if that helps.

It depends on what it is that is leaking. Check around the waterline for cracks, especially around skimmers, lights, returns, any openings in the pool shell. You can use leak detection dye or food coloring to place drops of color in suspected areas to see if it gets sucked into the crack. Check for leaks with the pump off.

Will check around the pool. I saw a video on YouTube that mentioned checking the pipe from where the float leveler is into the pool to make sure it isn't clogged with debris, which it was. Took a screwdriver to each end and loosened the stuff in there, mostly dead leaves. That could keep the float from registering the water was low. Crossing my fingers that was the problem. Need to put some tape over the holes of the cover to keep debris from falling into it.

Update:

Seems cleaning out the pipe for the auto leveler worked. Water is just about an inch lower then where it should be and staying there. Probably need a slight adjustment to the float. Thanks for all the advice. Glad it wasn't a leak.

Update:

Seems cleaning out the pipe for the auto leveler worked. Water is just about an inch lower then where it should be and staying there. Probably need a slight adjustment to the float. Thanks for all the advice. Glad it wasn't a leak.
How did you confirm there is not a leak? It's good to have your auto fill working, but that may just be masking another issue.

This could be normal evaporation, or it could be a leak. Keep an eye on your water bill for any sudden spikes in water usage.

This is the downfall of auto fillers. Small leaks are masked until they become really bad. Of course a pool in Arizona should have a fair amount of evaporation so the auto filler is very handy. I have my fill on a separate irrigation circuit and can monitor required on time vs. temperature and sun. Yes demand goes up in the summer here in Texas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you confirm there is not a leak? It's good to have your auto fill working, but that may just be masking another issue.

This could be normal evaporation, or it could be a leak. Keep an eye on your water bill for any sudden spikes in water usage.

The only way I confirmed it was by eye. I didn't see any type of cracks or anything that looked like it might be a leak. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for the water bill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.