Water level in inground pool rose at least 2" overnight. Any idea how?

Rain?

You have an irrigation system?

A friend pranking you?

Does your pool have an autofill?
No auto fill. We have gotten slammed with a lot of rain last weekend but no rain since. I'm thinking groundwater coming up through bottom drain? We had pool drained last year and had it painted. Painters had to set up a ladder across pool rigged to a pump because water kept coming up through bottom drain.

It was fine this morning. It did not rise at all. After doing yard work I noticed it filled again worse than yesterday! That happened within the last 1-2 hours. Thoughts?

Do you have a picture of everything?

What is the ground water level relative to the water level in the pool?
I have no idea. The ground in back of my pool drops in comparison to the pool level. I am surrounded by woods/trees and for the first time water is actually pooling in my woods area.

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    754.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    723.1 KB · Views: 30
Definitely odd.

Unless you have an unknown fill line, it seems to be a mystery.

It doesn't seem like ground water would be getting in the pool because the ground water would need to be higher than the pool water.

Periodically, check the water meter to see if it's running when it shouldn't be.

Based on the terrain, ground water intrusion seems unlikely.

Maybe a picture of the system would be helpful.

Any chance that the pump is connected to a ground water well point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a couple pics of system. Thank you all for your responses and enjoy your Memorial Day!
Your pool may have a hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain. In places where water table is high, it prevents pressure buildup on pool shell and instead lets ground water inside the pool.
I b
Your pool may have a hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain. In places where water table is high, it prevents pressure buildup on pool shell and instead lets ground water inside the pool.
I bet you are %100 correct. We just researched thathydrostatic relief valve and your answer sounds dead on correct. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 13
For ground water to come in through the hydrostat, the ground water would need to be higher than the pool water.

I don't see how that would be possible with the terrain.

Maybe if the main drain had enough suction, it could pop the hydrostat and begin sucking in ground water.

Is the main drain cover open or closed?

Are you putting a lot of suction on the main drain?

Maybe the pump is connected to a well point so that the ground water can be controlled during a drain. That's the only plausible way that ground water would get in the pool.

Are you 100% sure that there's no fill valve?

Do you know what every pipe at the equipment pad goes to?

Why is the pump plumbed with galvanized steel? That's going to add a lot of iron to the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.