Water frozen and above skimmer line...trouble ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys:
I am in PA and we have had some below freezing days (and a few nights), and some rain and I had my pool pump in the pool and would plug it in periodically to keep the water level below return lines. Somewhere along the line it stopped working and we got some heavy rains this week and now the water is at the skimmer level and frozen in the skimmer.
I have some antifreeze in there with a pool noodle and a gizmo but there is a good amount of water towards the bottom.
The top layer of the pool is frozen. Not sure how deep it is. Should I crack it and put a pool pump in to drain the pool back to below the skimmer ?
Not sure if that's a good idea or not. It is a vinyl liner pool. The water level is a couple inches above the returns which are only a tiny bit lower than the bottom of the skimmer. It is currently 34 degrees here.

Thanks in advance.

Go back inside and enjoy a good movie. Attempting to break the ice is far more risky than just leaving things be at this point. You've taken the correct steps to protect the skimmer by using a Gizmo, adding antifreeze, and the noodle. If your weather is anything like ours next week it's supposed to warm up a fair bit.......worry about draining then.

Attempting to break the ice you'll run an increased risk of creating some sharp edges that once they start to move around could cut your liner. That and you'll have to work outside where it's cold!

Go back inside and enjoy a good movie. Attempting to break the ice is far more risky than just leaving things be at this point. You've taken the correct steps to protect the skimmer by using a Gizmo, adding antifreeze, and the noodle. If your weather is anything like ours next week it's supposed to warm up a fair bit.......worry about draining then.

Attempting to break the ice you'll run an increased risk of creating some sharp edges that once they start to move around could cut your liner. That and you'll have to work outside where it's cold!
Thank you, do I need to be concerned about the OUTSIDE of the skimmer(the part that is in the pool ) or the return lines being damaged ?
The Return lines are plugged with rubber plugs and they are air tight (they were when we blew out the lines at least)

You’ve taken the right precautions and even extra ones with the noodles. You’ll be fine. When it warms up just enough, drain some more. I got about 36 inches of rain last off-season. You were probably similar and will need to drain whatever falls over how much you initially drained. I started down 18 inches last year. Drained another 18 mid winter and opened full to the brim. This year I am already up at least a foot of my initial 18 inches. I’m waiting for the temporary thaw myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.