Water flow to solar

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Every winter I:

1. Turn off "solar" heat option on indoor panel for pool and spa (Intellitouch)
2. Unplug a connector that says "solar" on the circuit board in outside panel ("pool guy" said that was right)
3. Remove end cap on roof at lowest point to drain roof.

When I do this the system runs with no water coming out the open pipe (where I removed cap) so I assumed I stop flow to the solar.

BUT

I have to have a gutter replaced due to a slow leak from a pressure relief valve that pooled pool water in the sagging gutter and rusted it. I cut the two pipes to the roof and despite following above steps water was flowing from both pipes when pool pump came on.

What the heck?

Bob

Is there a manual shut-off valve between the pump/filter and the lines leading up tot he solar? It is possible that the plumbing was done in such a way that some water would flow up, at least until the static head of the solar system equalized with the head of water returning to the pool.

Anyway, a photo of the plumbing coming from the filter and going to/past the solar would help.

Duh--

No I'm getting old! I only closed the valve out of the pump but not a second valve that branches off the piping that goes from filter pump to gas heater - it branches off before heater and goes into ground - anyway - I've capped the pipes. After I cut them later (after gutter repair) I'll see what flows as I close one at a time- and re-post with a shot of the pumps/valves which way this water is flowing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.