Water Feature plumbing help needed PLEASE :)

poolremodelnewbie

May 30, 2020
Los Angeles
Newbie remodeling an old pool and have had a lot of issues. Please Help.

40 X 20 pool (incudes new 8X20 baja)plus a large attached spa
In pool:
Two 2” suction lines
Two 2” return lines
Run to 6” waterfall is approx. 90 ft
Run to laminars is a little less but not by that much

Pumps
1 whisperflo 1.5HP
1 wisperflo 2HP
New intelliflo 3HP X2

4 pentair bubblers
2 Pentair Laminar
4 Pentair Deck Jets
1 6ft Pentair waterfall
Told I need to buy 2 more intelliflo 3 HP and 2 clean and clear filters (would rather buy only one more intelliflo and one clean and clear if possible. Want to use automation to run the features and control the water heights etc.)

Issues-
  • The 6 foot pentair waterfall requires a 3” pipe they put in a 2”. When I brought it up I was told that we can get away with the 2” line if we use a VSP. I wanted to use a wisperflo 1.5 that I already have. Pentair says need 3' line for 5ft and over waterfall and recommends using a VSP. Thoughts?
  • Was just told that the two suction lines should have been 3” and we were given 2” and that the lines should be changed to 3". Then stated I need to pay to add an additional 3” suction line and 3" return line (since I have so many features).
  • I have a DE filter. I just learned that I need cartridge filters for the laminars and waterfall. I was hoping to buy one clean and clear cartridge filter to run the 2 laminars and the 6 ft waterfall. Plumber said I need 2 one for the two laminars and one for the waterfall. Can I get away with one and if so what size? If I need two what sizes do I buy?
  • How should I distribute the pumps across the pool, spa, waterfall, 2 laminars, 4 deck jets and 4 bubblers?
Thanks so much !!

Last edited:
The 6 foot pentair waterfall requires a 3” pipe they put in a 2”. When I brought it up I was told that we can get away with the 2” line if we use a VSP. I wanted to use a wisperflo 1.5 that I already have. Pentair says need 3' line for 5ft and over waterfall and recommends using a VSP. Thoughts?
What is the flow rate requirement for the waterfall?

Was just told that the two suction lines should have been 3” and we were given 2” and that the lines should be changed to 3". Then stated I need to pay to add an additional 3” suction line and 3" return line (since I have so many features).
The current 2" lines do they both go from the equipment pad to the pool? What do you have at the pool, MD and Skimmer?

I have a DE filter. I just learned that I need cartridge filters for the laminars and waterfall. I was hoping to buy one clean and clear cartridge filter to run the 2 laminars and the 6 ft waterfall. Plumber said I need 2 one for the two laminars and one for the waterfall. Can I get away with one and if so what size? If I need two what sizes do I buy?
Large cartridge filters tend to hold up a little better under high flow rate requirements but you still don't want to exceed 150 GPM on even the largest filter. What are the flow rate requirements for the Laminars?

How should I distribute the pumps across the pool, spa, waterfall, 2 laminars, 4 deck jets and 4 bubblers?
It depends on the flow rate requirements for each.

Lookup the manufactures specifications on flow rate requirements for each of the features and post back. You can't size plumbing properly without that.

Also, post a picture of your current pad.

On the return side, you said there are two 2" lines. Do both travel the full distance from the equipment pad to the pool? How many eyeballs are in the pool and which line feeds which eyeballs?

Is the spa going to change at all? What is the setup for the spa? # jets, jet size, pipe size too/from the spa? Does the spa have it's own jet pump?

@mas985 thank you for your reply. Pentair said I can use the 2" line. However, they said I needed more suction and when I mentioned where the suction was it brought up a red flag. I think these are suction lines and they shouldn't be in the wall and so high up and close together. I think this is a safety hazard with small children, hair etc. If I'm using 3 3HP VSP's. Thoughts? ThanksIMG_3183.jpg

The two on the left might be suction lines but I don't thing the other two are. Have you confirmed their purpose from the builder?

The two on the left might be suction lines but I don't thing the other two are. Have you confirmed their purpose from the builder?
the two on the left are suction lines and they are 3 feet apart but the placement on the wall isnt safe they are too high up I think? (multiple 3HP VSP's). If they are, isnt this unsafe? what do you think can be done at this point? Im thinking they need to be changed to a skimmer?

I think the one in the middle is a vac and the far right is a return.

thanks

To me they look close to the floor so I would measure them. If they are 3' below the water line, I would not be concerned. Installing suction ports in the wall is not uncommon.

To me they look close to the floor so I would measure them. If they are 3' below the water line, I would not be concerned. Installing suction ports in the wall is not uncommon.
Thank you. No there isnt 3 feet below the water line. Therefore, im going to have them turned into returns. Two will be unused (saved for later incase we decide to do solar heat) and two will be bypass/blow off for the deck jets so they can be used alone without the bubblers as they will share a 3HP VSP. They will now add two 3" suction lines in the wall of the deep end 3 feet below the waterline and a minimum of 3 feet apart. note: the pool will be using THREE 3HP VSP (as im running a 6" waterfall, 4 bubblers, 4 deck jets and 2 laminars). Does that sound safe? the deep end will have the split drains in the floor, the skimmer and these two new suctions under a cover all in the deep end. Thanks

What matters more than the depth of the suction ports is the water velocity. You don't want to exceed 3'/sec in each half of the line, 6' ft/sec if one is blocked. Is that the line that will be 3"? If so, it will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What matters more than the depth of the suction ports is the water velocity. You don't want to exceed 3'/sec in each half of the line, 6' ft/sec if one is blocked. Is that the line that will be 3"? If so, it will be fine.
Yes we are going to add two 3inch lines to the right of or near the return on the right of the photo. Its for the waterfall. Im most worried about hair getting sucked in or little kids being sucked to it (safety to prevent drowning/injury). Will any cover work for this? are there flat ones as now im going to have 4 covers on that wall two on the shallow end and two on the deep end (not ideal). thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.