Water Feature and SPA JET Plumbing Question

MARV19

Aug 25, 2018
Wesley Chapel/ FL
greetings All:
Pool Current Status: Excavation done, rebar installation done. Main Drains and Floor Returns are plumbed (rough).
Pool- 2 Main drains (1 - P&S Pump; 1- WF pump)
WF pump will be connected to 8' Rain Fall Water FEATURE, PLUS 5 LED Bubblers.
Question: When I run Pool & SPA filter pump and WF Pump simultaneously, How much water will be going through P-MD and WF-MD?. In other words, is it safe to run both pumps at the same time?.
SPA JET Plumbing question: Please refer the attached image. Did we make mistake in SPA JET plumbing?.
I would appreciate your feed back

Attachments

• Plumbing.png
    Plumbing.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 18
I'm no expert, but that seems like an odd setup.

Usually with the round main drains, you have them plumbed together to one pump so that if a kid gets sucked into one of them, they do not get stuck because the other one relieves the vacuum. There are pumps that have features built in to avoid that entrapment, but that is the typical setup. I have the same type system with 2 sets of channel drains. One for the pool/spa, one for the features. In your setup, I would recommend 2 sets of main drains (4 drains total), or, some sort of wall suction for the features. with what you're showing, I don't see how you meet code for anti-entrapment.

Again, I am not an expert, but this is something you need worked out before gunite. I know those round main drains do not allow as much flow as a channel drain, I actually wonder if a single main drain on a 3" pipe does you any good. I think you will be limited to the drain even with the larger pipe. Easiest fix is to swap the round drains for channel drains, they usually have 3 ports, 1 for a hydrostatic valve and 2 to be plumbed in to your pump. If you have one in your spa, the 3rd port can be used for a pool return for spillover function while you're in pool mode. I learned that after it was too late on mine and they had to put a regular return in my spa for the spillover.

I'm no expert, but that seems like an odd setup.

Usually with the round main drains, you have them plumbed together to one pump so that if a kid gets sucked into one of them, they do not get stuck because the other one relieves the vacuum. There are pumps that have features built in to avoid that entrapment, but that is the typical setup. I have the same type system with 2 sets of channel drains. One for the pool/spa, one for the features. In your setup, I would recommend 2 sets of main drains (4 drains total), or, some sort of wall suction for the features. with what you're showing, I don't see how you meet code for anti-entrapment.

Again, I am not an expert, but this is something you need worked out before gunite. I know those round main drains do not allow as much flow as a channel drain, I actually wonder if a single main drain on a 3" pipe does you any good. I think you will be limited to the drain even with the larger pipe. Easiest fix is to swap the round drains for channel drains, they usually have 3 ports, 1 for a hydrostatic valve and 2 to be plumbed in to your pump. If you have one in your spa, the 3rd port can be used for a pool return for spillover function while you're in pool mode. I learned that after it was too late on mine and they had to put a regular return in my spa for the spillover.
Hi
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. The man drain is VGB compliant and approved by county. Please refer the attached image taken from the package.

Attachments

• E343FDA9-C918-4FD6-8C71-29F063AF29DE.jpeg
    E343FDA9-C918-4FD6-8C71-29F063AF29DE.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 8
  • F96BAF32-43F1-4FDD-9AB7-02B0C0C8EC5C.jpeg
    F96BAF32-43F1-4FDD-9AB7-02B0C0C8EC5C.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi
Thank you for your reply and suggestion. The man drain is VGB compliant and approved by county. Please refer the attached image taken from the package.
Gotcha, those look nice. I couldn't readily find the allowable flow rate. For your pool, you're going to be pulling from your main drain and skimmer most likely, so that should be fine. For the features, just make sure the maximum flow rate through the drain isn't less than you need for your features.

greetings All:
Question: When I run Pool & SPA filter pump and WF Pump simultaneously, How much water will be going through P-MD and WF-MD?. In other words, is it safe to run both pumps at the same time?.
It is difficult to see how the pool and waterfall MDs are plumbed to their respective lines. Are each their own or are they sharing both MD's?

Then why would matter if both pumps were running? Maybe I am missing something. If pumps are on isolated plumbing systems, they will have no effect on each other.

Then why would matter if both pumps were running? Maybe I am missing something. If pumps are on isolated plumbing systems, they will have no effect on each other.
Thank you. 50 years of my life on earth, never built or owned a pool. This is my very first pool that we are building, just wanted to make sure that we are doing everything right. BTW, want to thank people like you and many other experts and members on this forum who constantly educate people like me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.