Water evap and bucket test?

Limey

Jul 14, 2011
Central Florida
I've found the bucket test not to be so accurate , am I correct in thinking that the surface area of the pool and the depth of the water in the bucket would less evap from the bucket?

In any case, I'm central Florida and there has been no rain for a while. My in ground pool has lost 2 inches of water since last Tuesday. That's 9 days.
I read a quarter of inch a day would be normal but unsure. Thanks.

Depth of the water has no factor on evaporation. All evaporation comes from the surface exposure of water.

Temperature of water versus air has effects evaporation. Cold nights with warm pool water increase evaporation.

Depth of the water has no factor on evaporation. All evaporation comes from the surface exposure of water.

Temperature of water versus air has effects evaporation. Cold nights with warm pool water increase evaporation.

I'll read that article later , thanks.
So any central Florida pool owners care to chime in about their water loss ?

L,

My understanding is that you want the water in the bucket about 5 inches from the lip of the bucket and not a just few inches in the bottom.. This has to do with the wind blowing across the bucket being about the same as the wind blowing across the pool.. Not sure if that is true or just a myth, but I've done several bucket tests and it works better for me with the water almost filling the bucket.. As far as accuracy, I've found the bucket test for my pool with no leaks to be within an 1/8th of an inch over about 4 days...

Here is a pic of my OCD bucket tester...

This same tester showed about a 2" difference between the pool and the bucket when used on a rent house pool with a skimmer leak.

I would not see a 2" loss over 9 days to be a leak, but I like your idea of checking with pool owners in your local area for a comparison..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Limey
L,

My understanding is that you want the water in the bucket about 5 inches from the lip of the bucket and not a just few inches in the bottom.. This has to do with the wind blowing across the bucket being about the same as the wind blowing across the pool.. Not sure if that is true or just a myth, but I've done several bucket tests and it works better for me with the water almost filling the bucket.. As far as accuracy, I've found the bucket test for my pool with no leaks to be within an 1/8th of an inch over about 4 days...

Here is a pic of my OCD bucket tester...

This same tester showed about a 2" difference between the pool and the bucket when used on a rent house pool with a skimmer leak.

I would not see a 2" loss over 9 days to be a leak, but I like your idea of checking with pool owners in your local area for a comparison..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think the design of my pool could have been better. In respect to the skimmer line etc. Basically I get vortex in skimmer beyond two inches of water loss.

L,

I think a 2" loss, give or take a little, is about the max for most pools.. Most pools run with the water about in the middle of the skimmer.. 2" below that is getting pretty close to the bottom of the skimmer mouth. This makes the weir door inoperable and makes the vortex possible, especially at faster pump speeds.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Limey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.