Water Boatman - Algae or Dog Hair?

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
Had these guys show up lately as we are in a heat wave (for Ontario).
61412140-AA10-4F9D-8931-3C7B7BCDCADE.jpeg

Our water is clear and my FC has never dropped close to zero.

Current Test
FC 4
CC .5
PH 7.6
TA 60
CYA 50
Salt 1800
Temp 83

Added to take CYA to 60 and PH to 7.4

Water has gone a little murky after heavy use but quickly corrected and we do all the required maintenance (scrub, robot vac, skim, filter socks).

Is this a sure sign of Algae and I need to SLAM?

Or could dog hair over night attract them?
Or seeking refuge in the heat and lack of other water?

EBC561B2-808D-4E1D-94E7-7CA925B13F81.jpeg

They are attracted to water and lay their eggs on vertical surfaces in clusters. They are immune to chlorine. Scrubbing the pools walls and vacuuming well is the best bet.

I brushed all surfaces extremely well and have robot vac on long cycle and will keep pump on over night. I also added another 1L of bleach to bring FC up to 7.

Do I need to hookup the hose and manual vac?

Should I put cover on over night?

I see one of those in the pool every now and again. They seem to move on. I hope it is because there’s nothing to eat there.

I’ve heard they bite. I’ve never been bitten by one that I know of, But I did read it somewhere.

"Backswimmers" (Notonectidae) bite, "Boatman" (Corixidae) do not. They look a little similar but they are easy enough to distinguish.

Just brush, vacuum as-need and chlorinate....nothing to do about them really. A loosely fitted cover will do nothing to stop them.

Reactions: Chasarms
Nothing attracting them other than you have open water. They are challenging to catch with the net but no match for the persistent.
Just be sure to dump them out over the fence. They will be gone soon.

Appreciate the advice. Just noticed my neighbours pool has them as well. Guess there usual water spots dried up with this heat.

Caught a dozen with net and gave them the squish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not believe they are immune to chlorine. In fact, when reported on the forum in the past, elevating the chlorine to about twice your normal level and HOLDING IT THERE for about two days seems to be pretty effective. I had a few one season and I am not sure if they left (48 hours later) from the chlorine or just because it was time to leave but they left

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.