Water Balance as the Water Temp Cools Off

RexO

May 24, 2020
Melbourne, FL
Hi All,
I am a first year pool owner and noticing the change in water balance as the water temps cool off, even in Florida.
Below is my current test results from this morning using K-2006C/K-1766.
As you can see, the water is well balanced on the CSI, but Ph is a little high. I normally catch it at about 7.9/8.0 and lower to 7.5/7.6. With this current balance I am only adding a little acid about twice a week.
But, if I treat down to 7.5/7.6 Ph, my CSI will little lower than - .30...but only for about 1 day before it moves up a bit.

I think I should bump up the Calcium to 400 to give me a little room on the CSI to treat the Ph down to 7.5/7.6.

I go to the pool store once a month for testing because of my pool warranty. I told them my plan and they talked me out of buying the Calcium...weird. They just though my Calcium levels were good to go for a Florida pool. But, they don’t pay much attention to CSI anyway. And, they were getting a 100 TA, when I know for certain I am right at 70 TA.

So, finally my question. Bringing up my Calcium Hardness to 400 is a good move, correct? Even in Florida.

Thanks

Water Temp 82
Chlorine: 6
Ph 7.9
Calcium 325
TA 70
CYA 70
Salt 3400

I'd leave calcium alone and bring TA down to 60 or even 50 to see if PH holds better.
For sure, if I let the TA go down to 50-60 the Ph would hold at around 7.6 much longer. I played around with that a bit when the water temps were in the 90s in August. But with water temps at 80 deg, TA at 50-60, Ph at 7.6, maintaining 70 CYA, the water is pretty low on the CSI, I think I would worry about etching over a period of time, correct?

Side note: How do you like that Warrior SI Robot? Thinking of buying that soon.

Last edited:
Side note: How do you like that Warrior SI Robot? Thinking of buying that soon.
I like the Warrior but get the SE, don't spend the extra $50 for the SI if you're thinking you want to 'drive' it with your phone. Very cumbersome and all but useless function. You'll try it once and never again. The wall climbing ability is just a cheap party trick also, IMO. They all seem to have that function though so whatever. It does do an excellent job of cleaning the bottom of the pool though and the basket/filter design is top notch.

Reactions: RexO
Many will choose never to believe me but chasing csi in a Florida pool with naturally low CH fill water and 50+ inches of rainfall is a waste of time.....period.

Dangerously low pH (probably below 6.6) and dangerously low CH (less than 50) combined over a LONG time is what etches pools

Reactions: RexO
I like the Warrior but get the SE, don't spend the extra $50 for the SI if you're thinking you want to 'drive' it with your phone. Very cumbersome and all but useless function. You'll try it once and never again. The wall climbing ability is just a cheap party trick also, IMO. They all seem to have that function though so whatever. It does do an excellent job of cleaning the bottom of the pool though and the basket/filter design is top notch.
Sounds good. I was gonna buy the SI just for the idea of driving it if I wanted. But, I will save the $50 and get the SE.

Many will choose never to believe me but chasing csi in a Florida pool with naturally low CH fill water and 50+ inches of rainfall is a waste of time.....period.

Dangerously low pH (probably below 6.6) and dangerously low CH (less than 50) combined over a LONG time is what etches pools
OK. So, sounds like I am good at CH 325 and not to worry about the CSI going a bit low for a while after adding acid. It really only stays low for a day or 2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.