Water balance and equipment for hot tubs with SWG

Jay397

Mar 22, 2020
Los angeles
Hi, I am current using the dichlor/bleach method but I want to convert to something I can leave for a few days. I see the sticky on swg water balance for pools but what are the changes for an above ground hot tub?

Also I notice the saltron mini is what everyone has for hot tubs. Is that the one to get or are there others units I should consider?

Saltron mini seems to be the way to go. Read...

@Jimrahbe can share his experience when he comes by.

Jay,

I have the Mini and have been quite pleased with it.. It is an "over the shoulder" unit which means it just sits in the spa and does not get installing into the plumbing..

I only have a 200 gallon spa, and the wife and I are the only ones that use it, so it does not use a lot of chlorine.. If you have a very large spa and throw a lot of parties, you will have to either add a little liquid chlorine or run the Mini longer.. I run mine about 5 or 6 hours per day.

I maintain my spa the same way I maintain my saltwater pool, except with a CYA of about 40 ppm, because it is covered most to the time.

I take the cell out before we get in and throw it back in when we get out. I rarely have to add anything except some MA to lower pH. Still need to change water after three or four months..

What I do is watch my CC's.. When the water is new the CC's will be zero, then .5 and then 1.. When I can't keep the CC's at 1.5 or below it is time for me to change the water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply Jim. How do you get your CYA up? Do you just chlorinate using dichlor for the first week or two?

Also when your CC is up does this mean its hit a point where the chlorine generated is not enough to cover the load anymore? Does using a non chlorine shock like MPS help when this happens?

Thank you again,
Jay

Jay,

I have the Mini and have been quite pleased with it.. It is an "over the shoulder" unit which means it just sits in the spa and does not get installing into the plumbing..

I only have a 200 gallon spa, and the wife and I are the only ones that use it, so it does not use a lot of chlorine.. If you have a very large spa and throw a lot of parties, you will have to either add a little liquid chlorine or run the Mini longer.. I run mine about 5 or 6 hours per day.

I maintain my spa the same way I maintain my saltwater pool, except with a CYA of about 40 ppm, because it is covered most to the time.

I take the cell out before we get in and throw it back in when we get out. I rarely have to add anything except some MA to lower pH. Still need to change water after three or four months..

What I do is watch my CC's.. When the water is new the CC's will be zero, then .5 and then 1.. When I can't keep the CC's at 1.5 or below it is time for me to change the water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jay,

I just use the same CYA granules that I use in my pool... It does not take a lot. I just put them in a ladies knee-high stocking and hang it in the filter area.

I do not use MPS at all.. In a small body of hot water after three months "gunk" will build up that just can't be oxidized..

I do open the cover once or twice a week for an hour (or more**).. ** It is only more when I forget that I opened the cover and only find out hours later.. :(

Jim R.

What function does opening the cover serve? Is it to get rid of the smell? Hydrogen gas?

Lol I do the same thing with the cover but overnight. I turn on the jets after chlorinating with the cover half open and come out the next morning and it's still open because I forgot to close it.

Jay,

I just use the same CYA granules that I use in my pool... It does not take a lot. I just put them in a ladies knee-high stocking and hang it in the filter area.

I do not use MPS at all.. In a small body of hot water after three months "gunk" will build up that just can't be oxidized..

I do open the cover once or twice a week for an hour (or more**).. ** It is only more when I forget that I opened the cover and only find out hours later.. :(

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.