Waste line out from the Pool House bathroom

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Looking for options folks...
Just had couple quotes done for this and was quoted about 6k of T&M to run the drain (tie into the septic), run the water from the house and install an ejector pit/pump for the toilet. Quite hefty, but seeing some other quotes with 10-15k range, its actually looking much better. Regardless, I think I may be tackling this myself, as I have pretty good experience with plumbing work and my septic is only about 50ft away from where the pool house going to be so tying into it should not be too difficult. Running the water from the house is not an issue either.
My biggest issue and what I need to research and figure out will be how to properly setup an ejector pit. The septic will be a bit uphill, so it will need to grined/pumped and definitely done right.
Also, I'm thinking about doing the pit outside rather than inside.

Another option I'm considering is setting up a small dedicated septic system that will not be tied into the main septic...

Does anyone here have some good experience or advice with this they can share?

I have no experience with this, but remember seeing a home show where they installed a toilet in the basement. They installed a special toilet that had all the ejector equipment inside.

I'd Google "Basement Ejector Toilets" and see what you get.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I would lean more towards setting up a separate small scale septic system for your toilet. Ejector pits work but the mechanical side of them is a point of failure and no fun to repair. I much prefer to have gravity take care of the dirty work.

You may want to check with the building department before adding a second septic system though. Many jurisdictions do not allow more than one septic system on lots that aren't over a certain size.

I would lean more towards setting up a separate small scale septic system for your toilet. Ejector pits work but the mechanical side of them is a point of failure and no fun to repair. I much prefer to have gravity take care of the dirty work.

You may want to check with the building department before adding a second septic system though. Many jurisdictions do not allow more than one septic system on lots that aren't over a certain size.

Yes I'm more and more inclining to go that route. Setting one up is not any difficult and wouldn't be expensive. The permit side of it is the big question though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did this on acreage years ago and avoided telling anyone. It worked fine and was cheap but I had easy soil and had built permitted fields for two residences on the same property. I suspect less than $1K for tank, backhoe, and maybe 150' of pipe in the septic field, fittings and gravel. Maybe 1,000 sq ft? There was no shower tho. If you have a mate who's a plumber maybe you can do all the work and pay him $500 to help a bit, make sure it's right and sign off. Depends on neighbours, jurisdiction, etc.

I'd take a serious look at the self contained ejector toilets. I think you be supprised at what they can do and the cost savings involved

Yes certainly will, I wonder what's the durability on these as well. One thing replacing the grinder pump in the pit, but have no idea what kind of costs are involved when those things brake. Wish someone can chime in who has one of those.

I did this on acreage years ago and avoided telling anyone. It worked fine and was cheap but I had easy soil and had built permitted fields for two residences on the same property. I suspect less than $1K for tank, backhoe, and maybe 150' of pipe in the septic field, fittings and gravel. Maybe 1,000 sq ft? There was no shower tho. If you have a mate who's a plumber maybe you can do all the work and pay him $500 to help a bit, make sure it's right and sign off. Depends on neighbours, jurisdiction, etc.

Yes definitely looking further into this. I don't even think I need anything that big.

I think once we have the pool house built and I will have the waste line ready and stubbed out of the house, I will have the septic tie in re-quoted. If anything I will only have the plumber do the septic tie in and I will do the water supply and ejector (whether internal to the toilet or not) myself. No way I'm paying $4k for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,

I just had a pool house built which required an ejector pump to get waste water back to the main sewer line in our house. The total cost including trenches, installing water line, sewer line, hooking up water line and sewer line to main house, ejector pump, check valve, valve to winterize pool house and all other connections was $6,100. Length of run from pool house to main house was about 75 feet with total elevation rise of approximately 20 feet. I would be happy to provide more info if you have any questions or feel free to PM me and I would be happy to email you pictures.

Mike

Hello,

I just had a pool house built which required an ejector pump to get waste water back to the main sewer line in our house. The total cost including trenches, installing water line, sewer line, hooking up water line and sewer line to main house, ejector pump, check valve, valve to winterize pool house and all other connections was $6,100. Length of run from pool house to main house was about 75 feet with total elevation rise of approximately 20 feet. I would be happy to provide more info if you have any questions or feel free to PM me and I would be happy to email you pictures.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback Mike, this is pretty much what I'm need and the quote looks nearly identical. Seeing pictures would be great especially since I'm planning to tackle majority of the work myself. I will PM you.

My parents put one in their basement bathroom which went right to the septic line 6' up. It didn't get a lot of use over 15 years but there were no issues at all. I recall that feature added $2-4K.

I have an Up Flush Toilet in the basement. There is a grinder pump, check valve and is vented to the outside. It only pumps on a float, when the level in the tank rises. When it falls back the pump stops. I don't think this would be a good way to pump uphill 75'.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.