Wasps around pool and backyard...

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
Anybody have any tips they can share on what they do/use to control/kill the wasps? Yes I realize killing the nest is the best way. I’ve done that but I still have tons of these pests flying around. Heck even some landing in the pool. I’m looking for something other than “spraying them with Raid or equivalent”.
Thanks

We have a company do a perimeter treatment each summer, which comes with a “no nest guarantee” — e.g. they’ll come back for free if any nests establish.

We’ll still get some stragglers that wander in for fresh water, but it greatly diminishes the number. Keeping the water moving (e.g. pump on) seems to keep them away as well.

I bait the trap with a mixture of Japanese Mirin (sweetened rice wine) and OJ. The mirin keeps the bees away. You can use vinegar and sugar water like they suggest but mirin/OJ worked 10x better for me. Never caught a Murder Hornet though ….

We have 2 wasp traps (baited with apple juice) mounted in two locations on the fence around our pool area. For a couple of years they had an underground nest behind a retaining wall in our pool area. We went through many cans of wasp and hornet spray but that didn't get rid of them. At first we caught many wasps in the traps. Now we get very few wasps in the traps and we rarely see a wasp around the pool area.

So I don’t have a problem with wasps but I do with bees. It doesn’t help that I wear a sweet scented tanning lotion (and no, I won’t stop wearing it as it produces the best tan!). Just this week I started googling ways to deter bees and apparently they hate lavender and peppermint smells. So I bought lavender body spray and peppermint body spray on Friday and BAM not one bee bothered me all weekend! May work with wasps as well??

So I don’t have a problem with wasps but I do with bees. It doesn’t help that I wear a sweet scented tanning lotion (and no, I won’t stop wearing it as it produces the best tan!). Just this week I started googling ways to deter bees and apparently they hate lavender and peppermint smells. So I bought lavender body spray and peppermint body spray on Friday and BAM not one bee bothered me all weekend! May work with wasps as well??
I use peppermint extract from the grocery store. I dab it on my pulse points. This seem to deter the little sweat bees we have.

Reactions: mmardini
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.