Warm/steam water in Pump basket

CFWilliams

Jul 13, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Hi experts! I noticed this afternoon, about 3pm, that our waterfall feature from the spa to the pool was not running - which ALWAYS runs when the pump is on. Pump runs from 10am- 6pm. I went back to the equipment and noticed that I couldn’t see the water in the pump basket- it was foggy/steamy! So I put it in service mode and unscrewed the basket- there was water in it and it was warm. Not hot, but definitely warm and steaming (it’s ab 50 here today) I screwed it back on and put it back on auto mode and the waterfall started again. The psi is reading about 8 which seems normal. What could have caused that and do I need to call the pool people?
We’re going out of town this weekend and I don’t want it to happen again while we’re away. Should I turn everything off to be safe??

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Did you check the pump basket for air/bubbles after you got started it back up? Take a peek and make sure you see no large bubbles and that the basket is filling to the top.

Check the weir door at the mouth of the skimmer to make sure it's not stuck in the up position. Make sure your water level is where it should be; about half way between the skimmer mouth. Look inside the skimmer and make sure it's not running dry or overly turbulent.

Others will have some ideas as well.

Last edited:

CFWilliams

Jul 13, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Ok the basket is officially not filling to the top. It is filling to about 2 inches before the top. I’ve had a return in the shallow end thus been bubbling for months but I can’t seem to find where the air is coming in. I tried releasing water from the filter but there’s a steady stream of water and no more air coming out of the filter. Could the pump basket issue and the return jet bubbles be related? Should I shock the pool and just turn everything off while we’re away and get a professional out next week to look at it?

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Did you check the water level and weir door? Also check the pump basket lid. Clean the mating surfaces, lube the o-ring, and make sure the lid is hand tight. Make sure your suction valves are set to pull from the skimmer and not a blocked/closed accessory port (ask me how I know that one). Here are some additional troubleshooting tips.

CFWilliams

Jul 13, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Did you check the water level and weir door? Also check the pump basket lid. Clean the mating surfaces, lube the o-ring, and make sure the lid is hand tight. Make sure your suction valves are set to pull from the skimmer and not a blocked/closed accessory port (ask me how I know that one). Here are some additional troubleshooting tips.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.