wanting to know what numbers I should be aiming for - unique pool

kitkat123

Apr 1, 2020
New Zealand
Hi, have been running our home pool for about 15 mths now and feel fairly confident, haven't had any problems and have a good test kit etc. I am feeling like its now time to fine tune what I am doing and would like to follow the trouble free pool method. I have done a bit of reading up on what sort of chemistry numbers to aim for but think we have a fairly unique pool and am wanting to get specific advice on our particular pool please.

We live in New Zealand, have a solar system on the roof so the pool is around 24-28 deg C in summer and we don't use the solar system in winter so its around 12 deg C. Its a very old indoor concrete pool (basically its inside a conservatory), pretty small only around 30,000 litres. About 15 months ago we got the pool resurfaced - it was sand blasted, cracks filled, plastered and painted with epoxy pool paint. We installed an ozone swim system - essentially a salt water system with ozone. With the ozone I like to run it with a FC of around 1 or 2 (have kids with allergies so don't want chlorine too high). Since its an indoor pool we have CYA of zero. I add acid weekly to bring the pH back down and occasionally add calcium and baking soda to adjust CH and TA.

would really appreciate if someone would please be able to tell me what TA, CH and pH I should be aiming for with our unique pool setup (and would it be the same for both summer and winter?) Thank you so much :)

G'Day and welcome! We actually have many TFP pool owners similar to your situation. Not totally foreign to us. But I can give you a few tips to get started and perhaps a few links below to help:
- Normally we advise just a little stabilizer to aid as a buffer against the chlorine. With no stabilizer (CYA) at all, the chlorine is a bit harsh. With no sun UV to compete with, we generally advise a low CYA of 20 and an FC of about 4 ppm. Please see THIS THREAD (Post #5) from one of our chemistry experts. By adding and adjusting your CYA/FC, your family might find the water a bit more comfortable.
- For the pH, remember that new plaster work takes a while to cure, so the pH will continue to rise for a few months a little faster than normal. Just keep an eye on it and add acid as required.
- For all the levels, it's basically the same (other than CYA and FC noted above). Please see below.
- Last, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info -include which test kit you have. Hopefully you have a good test kit from Clear Choice Labs who supports your region. If not, please consider it right away.

Let us know if we can help with any more questions.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.