Wanting to hit the go button, but confused and nervous!

Hojo76

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all. I've been checking this site for about a year and am desperately ready to get started on my dream pool. Advanced apologies if this is not posted in the right place, if I am asking questions that have already been covered, if I do not understand something, and pretty much any other mistakes I may make. I am very grateful for any help or information you want to give.

I am looking at ordering a kit from Pool Warehouse very soon, hopefully this week. It will be a 20X40 rectangle with sharp edges, black granite vinyl covered steps all the way across, no border on liner, possibly a swim out in the far end, and modern waterfall/waterfalls on rock or rock look wall in deep end. Modern, especially for Arkansas, but still using natural elements when possible instead of ultra modern concrete everywhere. Area is in full sun pretty much year round and pretty much no trees within 50 feet of pool.

Now for the confusing part. I can decided everything about what I want it look like, but equipment and making sure it actually works the way it is supposed to is HARD! Trying to decide on a salt system, pump and filter. My PB recommends The Breeze SGS but is fine with a Hayward also. Looking for recommendations on a system that will work well, be easy to maintain, doesn't cost a fortune and that lasts. You know.... your average white whale. ;) I don't know if it's a regional thing, but a lot of people I know around here use Hayward.

Also, I need to know what pump to go with. I have read and read until I just can't anymore, so I'm going to you, the pros. Obviously, these are not things we want to have to replace any more than absolutely necessary, so looking for quality and a good value.

Thanks for reading and for any advice!

I too am in Arkansas, dreaming of the same type of pool. I've looked at kits until I am blue in the face, but always seem to get confused when it comes to equipment! I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but will definitely be following along on your build to get insights into ours when we get ready to pull the trigger! (probably next year) Good luck and congrats!

Hayward and Pentair are the two brands I see most on here. I'm sure you'll be fine with either. Assuming your doing some sort of automation so you'll want to stick to one brand for everything to make that work.

A lot of people are getting variable speed pumps now, they are cheap to run and very quiet. I would get at least a 2 speed pump.

For the salt cell it is recommended to get one twice the size you need. It will run more efficiently and last longer.

Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the responses so far! I hope it will be! I would still love to hear some recs on pump/salt system/filter combos. Like I said, I'm very new to this but by using this site, we are pretty confident we will be able to do a lot of the work ourselves. Obviously, we will need the help of knowledgeable people like yourselves. Any advice is appreciated! If I'm not asking the right questions or posting in the wrong place, please let me know. TIA!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.