Want Advice before buying 1st AGP

Jun 8, 2018
Clarksville/TN
Looking at a round 27ft AGP, and leaning toward a saltwater system. Local store says I need a Resin rail/posts w/aluminum wall pool(vogue Panache, or Carvin cape cod).
They sell Astral SWG, and said I need the E25, and I don't remember the brand pump. Anyway, should I go bigger with the E35 and what size pump and/or other components? Is there anything else I should consider getting with my package that may not be generally included?
If I decided to go with different brand SWG, is there much of a issue with compatibility to work with what pump system I get from local store.
Pretty much want to get it right the 1st time and be done with it, for a well running pool.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Pool: get the biggest that will fit and yippy can afford.

Pump: 1 HP 2 speed would be good. Many like the outflow Powerflo Matrix

Filter: bigger is better

SWG: size for 2-3 times the volume of your pool

Very often the package deals end up coming with either a filter that is too small or a pump that is bigger than you need.

You could potentially need all the same chemicals as a non swg pool. With the addition of adding salt. The chemistry is exactly the same. All the swg does is ADD chlorine everyday instead of you having to add it every day. Most likely you will only need to add stabilizer initially, and liquid chlorine to boost the FC, and muriatic acid to keep the pH in range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beaded liners tend to be a little easier to install and replace down the road. You don't need to pull the top rail to replace the liner which is an important consideration if you have a deck that will make pulling the top rail difficult. They are also a cleaner install and you won't see any of the liner on the outside of the pool. Beaded liners will not fit unless they are sized exactly for the pool you are building.

"Beaded" and "J-hook" are the two different bead designs. The "unibead" should fit both beaded and j-hook receiver track.

Overlap liners are a little less expensive and more forgiving when it comes to the size of the pool as the overlap area allows for flexibility. With overlap you can have the option to over dig the center area of the pool to get a "deep end."

Either way you go overlap or beaded both are fine for a saltwater pool.

Try to get the thickest liner possible. The "mil" thickness is the number you want to shop by. 1 mil is thicker than 1 gauge. A heavy duty long lasting liner will be 22+ mils in thickness.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? My pool is larger and I run just fine with a 1 HP Superflo 2 speed. A bigger pump just cost more upfront and more to run.

You have an inground pool. The difference in gallons will only be about 1,000. Inground pumps are different and behave differently. When vacuuming that large of an above ground pool, having a 2hp will simply work better. I know this because I have several clients with a variety of pumps and if you can swing the 2hp 2spd, it is the best option. On low speed, 24/7 you won't spend much on electricity and it will keep the pool cleaner.

I have now a 1hp 1 speed, after my 1.5 2 speed died, which replaced my original 2hp 2 speed. I'd take the 2hp back any day.

- - - Updated - - -

So how about a 1.5hp variable speed pump, and from some reading a 24" sand filter and 2"plumbing? is this sound right?

I would not pay for a variable speed pump on an above ground pool. Make sure you are buying AG pool pumps, there is a difference.

You will do fine with a 2 speed pump. 1.5 to 2hp is fine, single speed is fine.

They will all do the job, I'm talking in terms of preference and what the difference will make on a 27 foot round pool, and ease of use.

You have an inground pool. The difference in gallons will only be about 1,000. Inground pumps are different and behave differently. When vacuuming that large of an above ground pool, having a 2hp will simply work better. I know this because I have several clients with a variety of pumps and if you can swing the 2hp 2spd, it is the best option. On low speed, 24/7 you won't spend much on electricity and it will keep the pool cleaner.

I have now a 1hp 1 speed, after my 1.5 2 speed died, which replaced my original 2hp 2 speed. I'd take the 2hp back any day.

- - - Updated - - -

I would not pay for a variable speed pump on an above ground pool. Make sure you are buying AG pool pumps, there is a difference.

You will do fine with a 2 speed pump. 1.5 to 2hp is fine, single speed is fine.

They will all do the job, I'm talking in terms of preference and what the difference will make on a 27 foot round pool, and ease of use.

So the problem I have with your HP argument is that it's really not that cut and dry. With above ground pool pumps the HP numbers are way over inflated and don't always reflect a difference in pump capacity. A prime example of this is the Dynamo pump. If you look at the pump curve published for this pump the 1hp and 1.5hp pumps have exactly the same pump curve and if you look at the parts list the wet end part are exactly the same as well. SO if you buy the 1.5hp pump you get nothing more in terms of pump capacity but you pay $120 more.

Why spend the extra money on marketing hype. The above ground pool pump market is loaded with misdirection and flashy over rated HP claims that just waste energy.

When purchasing all new equipment for a brand new pool the cost difference between VS and two speed isn't that all that drastic. You are already going to pay upwards of $300 for an inefficient single speed pump. For an extra 300 you can get a VS pump that will move way more water for a tiny fraction of the electricity you will use on a single speed pump. I have easily broken even on the Superflo VS pump I purchased in the 3 years I've had it. It also made it very easy to add solar panels which I had never intended on doing when buying the pump.

As you can see in my sig, I have a 27' ABG, and a 1 HP pump and it does just fine by me. In fact, I have trouble sometimes with my Wahoo vacuum because there is too much power. Even on the highest bypass setting, it sometimes climbs the walls out of the pool. I know that when i went from hoses to hard 2" PVC it made a HUGE difference.

One thing I have found about 27' pools is that just about everything that you get for a 27' pools costs almost the same as a 28' pool. In fact, sometimes you cannot get things like a 27' cover, and you have to buy a 28'. It is a bit of an oddball size. If a 28' fits in your yard and budget, I would go up to a 28'.

I used to run my pump/filter 4 hours a day. I don't know what I run it now, I am currently dialing in a salt system. Maybe with the salt system a 2 speed pump would be worth it, but it is starting to look like I can generate enough FC in 4 hours to do the job. When I was just using bleach, 4 hours on my single speed did the job.

Maybe since the OP is in TN, his longer swim season may make it worth it, but for the 3 months a year my pool is open, and 4 hours a day it runs, I don't use all that much electric.

-dave

So the problem I have with your HP argument is that it's really not that cut and dry. With above ground pool pumps the HP numbers are way over inflated and don't always reflect a difference in pump capacity. A prime example of this is the Dynamo pump. If you look at the pump curve published for this pump the 1hp and 1.5hp pumps have exactly the same pump curve and if you look at the parts list the wet end part are exactly the same as well. SO if you buy the 1.5hp pump you get nothing more in terms of pump capacity but you pay $120 more.

Why spend the extra money on marketing hype. The above ground pool pump market is loaded with misdirection and flashy over rated HP claims that just waste energy.

When purchasing all new equipment for a brand new pool the cost difference between VS and two speed isn't that all that drastic. You are already going to pay upwards of $300 for an inefficient single speed pump. For an extra 300 you can get a VS pump that will move way more water for a tiny fraction of the electricity you will use on a single speed pump. I have easily broken even on the Superflo VS pump I purchased in the 3 years I've had it. It also made it very easy to add solar panels which I had never intended on doing when buying the pump.

I totally agree ... Saying get a 2HP pump is not very helpful without taking into account the Service Factor and wet end design. All 2HP pumps are not created equal. Just compare a 2HP Dynamo to a 2HP Superflo to a 2HP Whisperflo.

FYI, there is no reason you can't use a pump designed for in-ground pools for an above ground pool. The opposite is not true as the inground usually requires the pump to be self-priming which is usually not a requirement for above ground pools.

I do not understand the argument of NOT getting a VS pump just because the pool is above ground. You still want to circulate water in either type of pool for the least amount of electrical costs.

Fair enough :) and all good points. I should have added a disclaimer that I haven't priced equipment or pumps in several years, as my last two pumps were other folk's throw aways that I asked if I could keep for parts, and then ended up installing when my pump failed. LOL

The main reason I said the comment about the difference of AG vs. inground pumps is not everyone wants to hardwire their equipment or hard plumb with pvc. Alot of people (especially in areas that get alot of snow) will even put their equipment away for the winter, all of my AG clients put their equipment in their sheds or garages. AG pumps just plug in, so.... :)

Not all above ground pumps have cords there are a good number out there that are hardwired.

I too bring my pump inside for the winter I just undo the wires going to it. Not as easy as a plug but still only takes a couple of minutes. One of these years I may add a twist lock plug or quick disconnect to the power whip for my pump to make it easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.