Houma, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I been having a wall rusting issue. Last year we changed out the liner. The rust wasn't this bad and we did add rustoleum paint tot the insides.
The rust started from the outside and ate all the way through. Culprit, skimmer basket always over flowing because of too much rain last season. And yes I do have a SWG. So I'm sure that compounded the issues. The areas are all at the bottom and confined to the area around the skimmer.

Is it possible to drain, undo the liner on top, pull it away from the wall and install a section of metal flashing or something without un-doing the skimmer and return liner fit? I'm worried that "IF" I take the skimmer out that I will never get it seated back like it is and will have more problems later.
I think I can pull the liner back, spray/roll a rust inhibitor on it, lay some type of panel plastic or metal, tape the edges and then re-install the liner in the area like it was.
Has anyone used some type of heavy plastic/poly or something that won't rust, to patch areas? I'll just lay it in the track over the bad spots.

I'm trying to prolong it for about 2 more years and then it most likely will come down and a smaller gunite or fiberglass pool will be going in. It has used much less by the kids. Myself and the wife hang out in it at times, but I am not needing a 18x40 pool anymore.

I'll get pics when I get back home this afternoon.

CM, not ignoring your thread. Me personally, I just don't know if the FRP panels you are referring to will have the desired effect. Same for pulling back the liner. Quite a project either way. Sometimes, a product simply exceeds its service life and it has to be replaced. My T-Shirts are proof of that. :) But hopefully other AGP members will chine in to assist and confirm. Good luck!

That pic is after I did everything. I just pulled a few sections of top rail off, unhooked the liner(has j-hook), I slipped in behind the liner while the wife held it away, untapped the cove, slid the FRP behind the cove, pressed it into the ground, and tapped everything up. In that section, where the wall is completely gone, the FRP is doubled up. FRP is 2ft tall, so there is a lot extra above the missing section of wall.

Pool is full now and everything seems to be working very good. Hopefully it'll hold for a couple years. If it blows out, the whole thing is coming down. After changing liner last year, I'm not spending anymore on this pool. Sold as a saltwater pool, but that is a lie.

I actually believe that pool companies should be looking at FRP as a wall material. Or something like it.

I shot some rustoleum all over in order to save what is left.

I've learned that, a pool with steel walls is NOT a saltwater pool. This pool is not even 6 years old yet and shot. On my second liner. 1st one faded to nearly white within 3 years.

The salt in the pool water had little to do with that. General environmental conditions deteriorate ABG pool walls far more than the saltwater in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The salt in the pool water had little to do with that. General environmental conditions deteriorate ABG pool walls far more than the saltwater in the pool.
Thanks, I'm sure that didn't help. That is the worst of it. Seems the continual over-flow of the skimmer kept the area wet. It was a rainy summer for us last year. I was pumping to waste a few times a week.

Did you try to file a warranty claim for the rust issue?
No I didn't got so much of a run around with the liner fading that I didn't even try to do anything about the wall.
If it stays, fine. If not, I'm making plans for a gunite or fiberglass to be installed in the next year or two. I'm done with liner pools. And in a couple years it'll just be me and my wife. So I really don't need a pool that size.
I'm making plans to reconfigure my yard so I can reclaim it for usable decking and entertainment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.