Waiting on backfill settling...

Pool Novice2

Silver Supporter
Oct 19, 2016
Long Island, NY
I've seen similar threads, but thought I would see if there is anything new....

I'm in LI, NY. Vinyl pool with concrete wall and dirt backfill recently completed. Picked up cheap temporary indoor/outdoor carpet for area around pool, but entire backyard is an utterly destroyed dirt mess, including any old patio areas to allow for gas lines, drainage, electric, etc.

I hear a lot about waiting a season for dirt to settle...which I would have preferred if I could have had pool built last season, but couldn't get permit in time. At the same time, I've heard a lot recently about laying pavers over concrete shortly after new pool builds without issue...but perhaps it's still a new concept (or not, I have no idea). Seems like pool builders up here are embracing the idea.

For me, plan right now is to water/flood the backfill dirt on a regular basis and wait 6-8 weeks. Patio design is for pavers over poured concrete. Poured concrete attached to pool wall via rebar and with concrete footing tubes (in backfilled areas) supporting poured concrete base. I'm painfully aware of concept of backfill settling, but hoping poured concrete support plan minimizes risk to a degree.

Anyone recently install pavers over concrete with new pool builds in same season and have information or ideas to share?

Thanks.

I'm in LI, NY. Vinyl pool with concrete wall and dirt backfill recently completed. Picked up cheap temporary indoor/outdoor carpet for area around pool, but entire backyard is an utterly destroyed dirt mess, including any old patio areas to allow for gas lines, drainage, electric, etc.

I hear a lot about waiting a season for dirt to settle...which I would have preferred if I could have had pool built last season, but couldn't get permit in time. At the same time, I've heard a lot recently about laying pavers over concrete shortly after new pool builds without issue...but perhaps it's still a new concept (or not, I have no idea). Seems like pool builders up here are embracing the idea.

For me, plan right now is to water/flood the backfill dirt on a regular basis and wait 6-8 weeks. Patio design is for pavers over poured concrete. Poured concrete attached to pool wall via rebar and with concrete footing tubes (in backfilled areas) supporting poured concrete base. I'm painfully aware of concept of backfill settling, but hoping poured concrete support plan minimizes risk to a degree.

Anyone recently install pavers over concrete with new pool builds in same season and have information or ideas to share?

Thanks.

we just filled in our trenches 2 weeks ago and added a bit of fill. we got a few steady rains. this week we are doing our scratch coat for our pavers. my buddy sees no issues with it. we are going to tamp it down and bring in the gravel form and pour. we still planning on using choke under the pavers cause as you prob know the concrete scratch coat woun't be dead level so he is going this route.

jim

Have never heard of laying pavers on top of concrete. We are doing a stamped concrete deck around ours. Backfilled three weeks ago and there has been 4-5 inches of settling already with all the rain weve had along with the irrigation i've provided myself. We were told by our concrete guys a minimum of 6 weeks. If the soil is not allowed to settle, the concrete will crack. It always cracks anyway, but I would like to put off the cracking as long as possible. My guys are using 6" concrete layer with mesh and rebar. I put down a layer of landscape fabric around the pool to minimize the dirt getting in it. Has worked pretty well and allows moisture to penetrate of course. Good luck with your project.

Thanks.
Can you please update us on how this went? I’m on Long Island as well and they are telling me that there is no problem with installing patio immediately after the vinyl pool is installed. I’m inclined not to believe them.

Reactions: Heavenlytunes
My fear is dirt will settle under concrete leaving gap between concrete and dirt,
And you can be VERY fearful it will...........almost a promise.

The mistake was dirt backfill and not using 57 rock. It may take a few years but that backfill will eventually settle and your concrete will settle with it or the backfill will settle and the concrete will crack.

Solution? Wait at least a year or dig out dirt and put 57 rock in it's place.

Poured concrete attached to pool wall via rebar and with concrete footing tubes (in backfilled areas) supporting poured concrete base.
This is what they do here when its done 'the right way'. Our soil settles for a long time. They basically build a self supporting bridge-like concrete patio that they then put the pavers on. When areas settle down the road the patio holds itself up. Its a large added expense if done right, so most people wait a full year, and compact the bejeezus out of what's left.

The name escapes me but there is a name for the footers. Its something like solarium tubes and the cost was high enough that we stopped entertaining the idea.

Reactions: Heavenlytunes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everyone, if you backfill with 57 gravel and tamp down you can immediately pour concrete over it... if you use dirt fill wait a LONG TIME as it will settle...

This is the way my guy is doing it. On the back fill every couple of feet using dry gravel(or dry) and doing concrete for pavers.

They started yesterday.

Attachments

• 20201209_124659.jpg
    20201209_124659.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20201209_124506.jpg
    20201209_124506.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20201209_124407.jpg
    20201209_124407.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20201209-143650_Speco Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-143650_Speco Player.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20201209-122027_Speco Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-122027_Speco Player.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20201208-160355_Speco Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201208-160355_Speco Player.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20201209-143627_Speco Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-143627_Speco Player.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20201209-143543_Speco Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201209-143543_Speco Player.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 61
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.