North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
We are brand new to this. Our PB suggested we run our VSP at 1700 8a-5p & 950 5p-8a over the winter in NC where it doesn't get too terribly cold. After reading several other forums, it seems like this may be way too much. When I asked how he got those numbers, his reply was that he's just been doing it long enough. Can you help me understand how to determine my run times/speeds? What constitues low speed versus high speed?

Welcome to TFP.

What your PB gave you is a good pump runtime. Does 950 RPM turn on your SWG flow switch and let it generate?

You want to run your pump at the slowest speed that your SWG and HP needs. 1,700 sounds about right for your setup.

Some folks like to run their pump 24/7. Running your pump at low speed may cost you $20/month in electricity.

We are brand new to this. Our PB suggested we run our VSP at 1700 8a-5p & 950 5p-8a over the winter in NC where it doesn't get too terribly cold. After reading several other forums, it seems like this may be way too much. When I asked how he got those numbers, his reply was that he's just been doing it long enough. Can you help me understand how to determine my run times/speeds? What constitues low speed versus high speed?
First determine the minimum RPM necessary such that your skimmer still skims (i.e. water flows over the top of the weir door) and your SWG does not alarm. Once you determine that RPM, there really is no need to run at any other RPM. The run time can be as short as 2 hrs and as long as 24hrs/day. It just depends on how much debris falls into the pool and how long it takes to remove and how clean you want the pool.

Welcome to TFP.

What your PB gave you is a good pump runtime. Does 950 RPM turn on your SWG flow switch and let it generate?

You want to run your pump at the slowest speed that your SWG and HP needs. 1,700 sounds about right for your setup.

Some folks like to run their pump 24/7. Running your pump at low speed may cost you $20/month in electricity.

Thanks! I have the SWG off right now And am manually chlorinating as the water is getting chilly. I appreciate the feedback.

First determine the minimum RPM necessary such that your skimmer still skims (i.e. water flows over the top of the weir door) and your SWG does not alarm. Once you determine that RPM, there really is no need to run at any other RPM. The run time can be as short as 2 hrs and as long as 24hrs/day. It just depends on how much debris falls into the pool and how long it takes to remove and how clean you want the pool.
Is there a special trick to help me determine that? I do have the SWG turned off right now and am manually chlorinating because my water temp is sitting at around 52.

Start at 950 RPM and see if the water is traveling over the top of the weir door in the skimmer. If so, then that is probably a good speed to start with and you don't really need a faster RPM. After you get the SWG online, you can then see if you need to bump it up some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.