VS Pump Questions

dennis-o

Jul 6, 2021
San Rafael, CA
Hello Everyone,

I have a couple of questions about variable speed pumps:

1) If DOE has banned non-vs/capacitor start pumps, why is Amazon still full of them?
2) My real question. I run my little 1/3 HP pump about 7 hours a day and my water stays very clean but I want to install a rooftop solar heater so I know that I will need to increase my pump size. If I need a 1 HP pump to run at full speed for about 8-10 hours per day to heat the pool and that is enough to keep the pool clean, doesn't it make more sense to get a single speed pump and run it only when needed? What am I missing?

Thanks.....Dennis

DOE has banned
They have banned the manufacture of the motors. Current inventory will still be sold.

If I need a 1 HP pump to run at full speed for about 8-10 hours per day to heat the pool and that is enough to keep the pool clean, doesn't it make more sense to get a single speed pump and run it only when needed? What am I missing?
If that time of pump run is sufficient to skim the surface and add the chlorine (either with a SWCG or however you are adding it every day) that is great. Most pools need less run time each day than that. But a 1 HP single speed pump uses 1kW of energy each hour run. My VS pump is running at ~210 w per hour.

Will the VS pump running at 210 watts per hour push enough water to 10 feet plus some pipe losses, through solar panels and filter the pool?

Thanks
Once you get the water flowing, the flow rate can be reduced to what is needed for the solar panels. You need automation to make all this happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.