VS Pump and Booster Pump

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I just went from a single speed Hayward SuperPump to a Variable Speed Pentair SuperFlo pool pump. I have a Polaris PB-40 booster pump running my Letro Legend. Both the pool pump and booster pump are on mechanical timers (one for each). I plan to run the VS pump on low at all times. My question is, will my booster pump be enough to really do a good job with the VS pump running on low? Do I need to increase the time my cleaner runs to get the same effect or does the pool pump not really have that much effect on the cleaner? Thanks.

I have your future setup. My booster even runs fine with the main pump off (I don't intentionally do this). In this situation, the booster may even pull water from the returns instead of through the pump and filter (probably not a good thing, but better than it overheating).

I think the biggest thing is priming. If the main pump has primed your lines you are are good to go. If you are running the VS at a low speed, no problem. The volume of water to the returns will be reduced when the booster is on.

There are more authoritative people here, that may want to add their input.

Jo,

No, you will need to run your VS pump at a pretty good RPM before the Letro will work. Just one more reason to use a robot..

You do know that the SuperFlo has it's own built in time clock/controller and is supposed to be connected to power all the time. It will work the way you have it, but I don't see any advantage..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jo,

No, you will need to run your VS pump at a pretty good RPM before the Letro will work. Just one more reason to use a robot..

You do know that the SuperFlo has it's own built in time clock/controller and is supposed to be connected to power all the time. It will work the way you have it, but I don't see any advantage..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim,

I mis-spoke when I said VS. I should have said 2-speed. Here is the link for the exact pump I now own. I have a robot too but running the Letro makes it so I don't have to fool with the robot so often (don't like leaving it in the pool). I have the Letro run 1-2 hrs every day (on timer) then throw the robot in the pool once a week or so. I've found this is the best setup for me and would like to stay with it if possible.

So do I need to somehow figure out how to switch the pump to high when the Letro is running even though I have a booster pump for it????

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

And that pump has a switch on the back that changes it from low to high speed.

Jo,

I think you will have to use your high speed when using the Letro, but it can't hurt anything to try it on the low speed.

They make timers that control two speed pumps. To me that would be the simplest option.

A two speed timer could turn on your SuperFlo on low and then when scheduled, turn your SuperFlo to high and also turn on your booster.

I suggest you try it on low and see what happens..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have your future setup. My booster even runs fine with the main pump off (I don't intentionally do this). In this situation, the booster may even pull water from the returns instead of through the pump and filter (probably not a good thing, but better than it overheating).

I think the biggest thing is priming. If the main pump has primed your lines you are are good to go. If you are running the VS at a low speed, no problem. The volume of water to the returns will be reduced when the booster is on.

There are more authoritative people here, that may want to add their input.
NO!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.