Vinyl Pools & Muratic Acid

Dadof4

Jun 26, 2007
NW Arkansas
I just ran across this at Leslie's website:

MURIATIC ACID

Muriatic acid is heavier than water and may etch the plaster in a shallow pool. To eliminate this possibility, pre-dilute the acid first by adding the acid into a large plastic bucket of water, and then pour the acid solution into the deep end of the pool, away from skimmer and fixtures. Muriatic acid is NOT recommended for vinyl-liner, painted or fiberglass pools.

Is this really a concern? I thought that acid would not hurt the vinyl.

Rangeball

May 25, 2007
I believe as long as you don't allow contact of the acid with the liner it's fine.

I pour mine straight from the bottle into a measuring cup then into the return stream so it quickly mixes and dissipates.

Dadof4

Jun 26, 2007
NW Arkansas
Good, that's what I do too. But I have been pouring it all around when having to put a lot in to neutrilize my initial introduction of 20 Mule Team. I was wondering if it then sat on the bottom to eat away at my vinyl.

Poseidon

May 24, 2007
Houston, Texas, USA
Dadof4 said:
Good, that's what I do too. But I have been pouring it all around when having to put a lot in to neutrilize my initial introduction of 20 Mule Team. I was wondering if it then sat on the bottom to eat away at my vinyl.
So long as you pour it s-l-o-w-l-y into moving water, you should be ok.

G

Leslie's is just trying to sell dry acid (sodium bisulfate). It's a much higher profit item than muriatic acid.