Vinyl pools in Southern California

wenu

Nov 18, 2020
riverside ca
In SoCal, I'm petless and thinking about building a 14'x30'x (3.6' to 5' to 3.6' deep) vinyl-lined sports saltwater pool using concrete walls, vermiculite floor, extruded foam floor, ceramic tiles at waterline, vinyl liner track below the waterline, and pool cover. The reason for using concrete wall instead of cinderblock is that later, a sunroom will cover the pool where the sunroom footing might be within 1ft of the pool wall. I'm fine with changing the liner every 6 years ($4k to $6k). So it could cost me $6k x 5 = $30K in 30 years. If cracks develop later in the vermiculite or concrete wall, I'll buy a cement kit to patch the cracks. The terrain here is 1300' above sea level. Most pools around here have plaster/pebble/quartz/pvc/etc. but I'm thinking that any crack repairs might be noticeable and costly to repair. Does it make sense to build this vinyl pool in SoCal. Also if you own a vinyl pool in SoCal, I'd appreciate feedback on pool specs and operation issues.

Welcome to TFP.

@jimmythegreek is on the other coast but has built enough vinyl pools that he may have some thoughts about your plan.

Its do-able but you have to do it in reverse. The footings need to go in first even if you wait to build over it. The walls can be masonry or wall panel kit. I wouldnt attempt a submerged liner track its nearly impossible to keep it watertight and not needed. The crack comment is pertaining to earthquakes? or just in general?

You appear to be overthinking the whole cracking thing. Cracks in a gunite pools are rare and most pools will go 30 years without them. Plaster will get you 10+ years and pebble will probably go 20+ with proper water chemistry. $30k in liners... no thanks.

Also worth noting, with proper chemistry and care, not everybody gets 15 years per liner, but many people get 15 years per liner. 10 to 12 years happens even more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.